Introduction

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Luv my Silkies, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Luv my Silkies

Luv my Silkies New Egg

May 18, 2008
    San Jose
    I rescued an adult Silkie hen from a breeding facility the other day. She is clueless on how to find shelter, never touched grass and is weak on her feet. I keep her seperated from my other three Silkie hens at the moment, but wanted information how to introduce her to the rest of my girls. Any input how I should go about?

2. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Keep her seperated for at least 30 days and feed her well to get her strong. Inspect her for lice and mites too.
    You can give her some electrolytes in her water, some Poly-vi-sol (liquid childrens vitamins) 3 drops at edge of her beak. [​IMG]
    Keep food out for her constantly and as a treat, feed her some scrambled eggs, plain yogurt, or moist cat food for extra protein.
    Once she's perked up and the 30 days is up, put her in the coop inside a cage for a couple of days then let her out for a few hours each day for a few days, then let her out one evening and let her stay. Make sure she finds a roost that night.
    good luck!
    ~Rebecca

3. Luv my Silkies

Luv my Silkies New Egg

May 18, 2008
    San Jose
    Thanks, I will give it a try. I checked her for mites and she is clear. I have food out for her at all times as well.
    She has her own run and has been walking around. Everything appears to be new and she is frighten at first, but she is picking up on it quickly.
    I can't wait to introduce her to the rest of the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by