Introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wishingandhopin, Feb 21, 2014.

1. wishingandhopin

wishingandhopin New Egg

Feb 21, 2014
    Hello! My name is Kelly and this is my first post. I may have put the cart a little before the horse in joining now, if I am honest. For years now, I have been slightly obsessed with the idea of having a few chickens of my own, but what with renting and then issues with the job market forcing my husband and me to live with his parents it has never been feasible. I am happy to say that our prospects are looking up and I am now looking forward to maybe having a place of our own and as such maybe my dream of fresh eggs and the happy clucking of some feathery ladies will be happening sooner rather than later. Hence my name, wishingandhopin it was supposed to be hoping but you know character restrictions. With this in mind, I will probably be little more than a lurker and questioner, for the immediate future at least. If anyone has any advice for a complete novice like me I would be so grateful. I would also be glad for advice on breeds as well. I am currently torn between Easter Eggers and Silver-laced Wyandottes. I love the idea of all the different colored eggs and honestly the beards on the Easter Eggers just make them look so cute, but I think the silver-laced wyandottes are just so beautiful looking and I really like that they are a heritage breed. I will be wanting to start small at first just to get the hang of things I was thinking a max of 5, and all of that depends on the restrictions where I can find a suitable house. If you have a favorite breed though that you think I should consider please let me know as I do not know anyone who actually has chickens in real life. The only trouble I can foresee is that they need to be relatively hardy since they will have to weather the trials and tribulations of Kansas summers and winters, I know that chickens as a whole are pretty hardy but it gets into the triple digits and this winter especially it has been very severe.

2. PimentoPlymouth

PimentoPlymouth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Welcome to BYC. :)

3. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    [​IMG] There is also a Kansas thread that would be good for you to check out.

4. wishingandhopin

wishingandhopin New Egg

Feb 21, 2014
    I will have to check that out. I just got done introducing myself to the Missouri thread because I am originally from Missouri and am not sure which side of the KS/MO line I will land on but since I will be in the KC area I am sure neither group will kick me out. The MU/KU rivalry is harsh but not that bad lol.[​IMG]

5. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    Really? I am from Kansas City MO. Where are you originally from in MO?

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  7. wishingandhopin

wishingandhopin New Egg

Feb 21, 2014
    I am originally from Mexico, Mo it is about 45 min northeast of Columbia. My husband grew up in Shawnee so once we got out of college we figured that was a lovely place to start. We used to live in the 'Historic Northeast' is what I think the real estate people are calling it now. I called it cheap housing lol.

Two crows I will go check that out right now. This sight is so full of useful info that I do not know where to start. I do have to say that I spent a couple of hours last night just browsing and enjoying hearing what everyone else was doing. I have wanted chickens for years, but I have never met others in my day to day life that feel the same. It is just so lovely to 1) not feel alone and 2) see other people doing what I would love to do.

Thank you to everyone who added their welcome. I feel very much like I have found a community well worth growing in and learning in.

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright Kelly, [​IMG] great to have you joining the flock [​IMG]

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Like TwoCrows said, the Learning Center is the place to start! check out the BYC Breeds section for member reviews on a lot of breeds, and the Henderson chicken breed chart compares a lot of common breeds http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html .. I've always liked multiple breeds of chicken, breeds of the same general type and temperament usually get along fine with each other, Wyandottes and EEs should be fine, mine have always gotten along, Sussex, Delawares, Orpingtons and Plymouth Rocks are a couple of other breeds that people really seem to like, and for dark eggs Welsummers or Marans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by