1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Black Beak, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Black Beak

Black Beak New Egg

Apr 2, 2015
    Heart of Dixie
    Hello all! My wife, 9 month old daughter and i recently got a mixed breed flock of chicks. I believe its still too early to tell what we have as far as roos and hens. We have four australorps, three EE/ araucanas (not confident either way, the farm we got them from said araucanas but after looking at pictures on this site im not entirely convinced, and four buff orpingtons. We will soon be adding a couple of black copper marans too. Im curious about adding some 2-3 day old chicks to the group we have which is about 4 weeks old. Does anyone have some suggestions or advice on raising this many different breeds together? We have plenty of space with two coops already on the property we purchased last year so we can separate any if need be. Anyway this site is amazing and we are looking forward to having our first flock! I added a couple of picks of the brooder i set up in our sun room.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi and welcome to BYC!

Congratulations on getting your first flock. It may seem overwhelming at times, but ask any questions you might have.

When adding new chicks to the existing ones, it's best to hold up until they are all about the same size so the larger/older girls don't pick on the littles.

Here's a real easy way to determine if someone is selling Easter Eggers or Americaunas/Auraucaunas...if they will take less than $5 per chick, it's will be an EE. And they are great birds! We have 1 in our mixed flock and she's a sweetie (plus those pretty blue/green eggs are nice).

Hope you and your family enjoy the birds!

3. Black Beak

Black Beak New Egg

Apr 2, 2015
    Heart of Dixie
    Thanks for the advice! I believe we paid around $2-$3 for each chick so probably EE's. Im also a huge Heinlein fan, Time Enough for Love is one of my favorite books.

1 person likes this.
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Congratulations on your new flock of chicks! You've picked out some nice breeds. I've really enjoyed my Easter Egger in particular, because of her good temperament and lovely green eggs.[​IMG]

Good luck with your chicks!

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Here's my chance to show off my lovely EE, Tracy (sort of like "want to see pictures of my grandchildren", lol).

[​IMG]
    Tracy as a chick

[​IMG]

Tracy all grown up & strutting her stuff

1 person likes this.
  8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you have joined us.

Congrats on your new flock.

Agree with NorthFlChick, keep the babies separated until they are older. And when you are ready to integrate the flock visit the learning center articles or post the question of how to accomplish the transition for advice on how to accomplish it on managing your flock.

Good luck with all. Sounds like a lovely mixed flock.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock. I really love your brooder, looks large and the perch for the chicks is a great touch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by