Introductions are in order...

cwlongshot

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
Connecticut
Hello folks,
First post here!! I just would like to introduce myself, my name is CW. I found this with some google searching and found many answers to questions I had (and didn't know I had) about a small back yard flock of chickens!

I live in central Connecticut, I grew up on the shore with some animals. We had a couple gardens, a Horse, dozen or so rabbits, dozens of Chickens (Penned and free ranging) and of coarse dogs and cats too. Not a working farm, just animals. Advance 30 years and I have a fenced small yard (1/3 acre) and a small garden and want some chickens for the fertilizer, eggs and bug control. I have neighbors in close proximity so only hens here and 4-6 is what I'm looking at.

The other day I began construction of the coupe. It has a 4'x8'x 72" tall, with a 3'x4'x3" tall coupe. Its positioned 20" above and attached to the pen area. The birds enter thru the bottom of the coupe. I designed it myself after reading many posts here and watching the many videos on UTube. I actually have 6 young birds arriving this weekend.

We also have two small dogs... One I have no worries about as she is very young and timid. Doesn't have a mean or spiteful bone in her body... Then there is the Jack Russell mix... He is a little terror and will be a hand full. But I believe will turn around as he is very smart. He was a rescue and not well cared for. In the past 2 years we have had him he has improved nite and day.

Looking for advice and comments on nearly everything concerning the upkeep and maintenance of the "flock". I hope to offer some helpful assistance, once I get "in the know". I have been around forums for many years, actively visiting/ contributing to a number of them.

Thank you in advance,
CW

P.S. Here is a drawing of what I am building...
Chickencoop001.jpg

Last edited:
yippiechickie.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from Idaho. The sketch of your coop looks good. If you have any specific question feel free to ask. No question is dumb we were all newbies at one time.

Hi CW. Nice to meet you. My name is Angela and I live in Colorado - grew up in New Hampshire. We have nine chickens currently. Its a nice coop you are building. I love your drawing and it looks very basic and very secure and perfect. They will love it. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the final project in photos once you are done. Take your time and enjoy! Angela (dsquawker)

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from North MS! Glad you joined, I have 14 chickens right now, we have 3 dogs also and I was worried about 1 mainly, our boston terrier, because we like to let ours free range around the yard whenever we are home, she's is a very smart dog, it didn't take her long at all and she was hanging outin the yard with the chickens just like they are family, our other 2 dogs do the same, it's so cute to me, it's like they don't know they are any different, and the chickens are the same way, the dogs don't bother them at all. Look forward to seeing you on here in the future, good luck! Oh, post some pics of you coup when you get it finished, I love seeing what people come up with, and I am about to start another coup myslef so need some ideas!

Back
Top Bottom