Introductions - Little Girls meet the Big Girls

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ZooMummzy, Jun 26, 2008.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    My youngest chicks are now almost 6 weeks old and it really is time they get out of the office. Between them and Quincy, my special needs house chicken, the dander and dust is too much. Our office is the only "safe" place for them since the cats and dogs are way too interested in them.

I just took the dog crate the little girls have been brooding in outside and placed it next to the run so they could all meet safely. The Big Girls are very intersted lol. I don't plan on letting the Little Girls out in the run till they are a little bigger, but I was wondering if they are old enough to stay outside at night safely locked in the run area in their dog crate?

Our run is predator proof with 3 layers of buried fencing - chicken wire, small opening ranch fencing and then hardware cloth all nailed to the surrounding railroad ties. Even the gate is 3 layer covered with no opening at the bottom (blocked off with cement blocks. Plus it has a completely covered top (the upper deck).

They haven't had a light on them in the house for over 2 weeks now and seem fine. We have been getting down to 50 or so at night and I could cover the crate with a light blanket for extra protection.

Any comments or suggestions on the idea?

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I imagine they would be fine. Mine were all outside at night starting at around 5-6wks old.

3. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Thanks! I should have mentioned this is my first time introducing two different groups of chicks. My older ones are 4 months old and I've been stressing over how this was going to work for weeks now. So far it seems to be ok. I moved the dog crate into the run and half my older girls are hiding in the coop peeking at the younger ones out of the windows.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    If it rains would they have protection from the rain? Do you have a coop with the big girls in it? If so why not put the kennel inside the coop so the big girls can meet the little girls? I would be to nervous to put the hens out in just a dog crate...especially if the top of the run is open. Some predators can climb well and rip wire well.

5. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Oh yes, there's protection and the top of the run is closed. We used two decks - one upper and one lower - to build the coop and run area. The top deck is the "roof" of the run and the fencing goes all the way to top. We have a tarp that we throw over the whole deck area and down over the sides when it rains. I thought about putting them in the coop, but when I tried, it wasn't big enough. The only way I can put them in the coop is to move them to a smaller crate for the night, which is possible. I placed the crate next to the coop in a protected area from the wind and sun.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by