1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

introductions problems advise needed please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sunshine83, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Sunshine83

Sunshine83 New Egg

Apr 1, 2012
    Nottinghamshire
    Hi

I have 3 loman browns we have had for 3 weeks, they get along fine with one another, we decided we wanted some more and so hubby made a larger coop with covered run for bad weather and when we are out, the rest of the time they are allowed in the garden to free range. They have been in new coop since Tuesday this week and today I went and fetched 3 more loman browns from the same free range egg farm I brought the last ones, he retires them after 1 year and 1 black orpington in which i fell in love with at the pet shop.

My original 3 have been rather nasty to the new 3 Loman browns, and have had to take one away as she had been pecked on the comb and drew blood, the other 2 seem to be doing ok and bearing up and they are all in the same coop tonight except the 1 in isolation.

How best is it to introduce the 1 isolated back again when she has healed, because now it won't be 3 against 3 it will be 5 against 1.
    also I have not introduced the orpington yet, she is in a separate cage wanted to start introductions tomorrow, but frightened they will bully again. I have a large rabbit run, could I use that so they can see her and split the day between these both girls

I also have two chicks that are growing up, any advise for how best to introduce them.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    You are right, when reintroduced everyoen will gang up on her. Best to have one that does get along with her in there with her. But the issue really is, that one of the hens is bullying the devil out of her. Isolate that one. Don't let her mingle with the rest for a week. When Ms. Bully is reintroduced, she'll suddenly be the low one and it changes the flock dynamics.

There will always be a bit of bullying and pecking as you know, but it's best to have the new ones in an enclosure where the others can see and interact with them some for a week before putting them together. This makes it a bit easier on everyone. Put the black orp in there and watch closely. You'll see which one is the biggest bully pretty quick, I'd bet. That's the girl that really needs to be isolated rather than the injured one. Except of course any injuries should be treated with something like Blue coat so they don't pick at the injury.

3. Sunshine83

Sunshine83 New Egg

Apr 1, 2012
    Nottinghamshire
    Took the bully out, and will wait to put her back.

As for the black orpington I am not a happy bunny, I brought a hen to find out this morning my hen is 'cockcoo'ing, so he is going back to the shop tomorrow I can't keep a roo as I live in a estate with neighbors, he is going on to my mums larger garden now for the day in a separate run.

I wish people wouldn't take advantage of new comers to poultry keeping, both my mum and I won't be buying any feed etc.. for any of our animals there again so they just lost two very good customers.

Thanks for all your advise, at least I have support on back yard chickens.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    People do indeed take advantage of those that don't know, but Orpingtons do at times keep a person guessing till it either crows or lays an egg. Not to say they didn't fully know it was a rooster, chances are very high that they did. Or at least if they didn't, they should have. In any event I'd not go back there either!

5. farmin4fun

farmin4fun Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    Jackson, Michigan
    On occasions when a flock of hens has no rooster one hen will take on the role of the rooster. She will become the flock protector. She will be more aggressive and yes... even crow... It is a wierd thing to behold, but before you take your "hen" back I would send in a pic to be sure it is indeed a rooster. Once we see a picture it will be easy to know for sure.

6. Sunshine83

Sunshine83 New Egg

Apr 1, 2012
    Nottinghamshire
    Thanks for the advise but I have already taken him back, and they admitted he was a rooster, so got my money back aswell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by