Intros with a New Roo

BlueCamas

Songster
8 Years
Aug 25, 2011
Milwaukie, Oregon
I have a small flock of 8, a bantam rock roo over two bantam rock pullets, a chantecler pullet, and four 8 week old chicks; two orp pullets and two d'uccles that will be moving out soon. I was wanting Jersey Giants for Christmas and all of the sudden BAM! I found a gorgeous breeding pair of JG's on craigslist. They are only $50 and only half an hour away, it feels it's meant to be! The only isue is having two roo's.
My current boy isn't that small for a bantam, doesn't over work the girls, if ya know what I mean, and isn't very dominate (that I know of anyway), he might just back down from another roo and be the submissive one. Then again, what if he wont back down and he would be crushed by an 11 month old JG!
Will this work out? I still haven't made up my mind if I'm going to get these guys, but I really want them! How do you guys introduce new roo's to the flock?

The article says that you can't introduce one roo to another? I'm sure someone on here has done it successfully:/ maybe separate them from the hen when they first meet or something?

We had to do that this summer. I have four roos now but had to integrate two flocks, one with 3 roos and one ith one. Flock one had a dominant bantam cochin, and bantam brahma and silkie. Flock 2 had a big sex linked roo.

I kept the two flocks apart for several weeks, locking F1 in the coop at nights and using a small dog run covered with tarp as a temp. coop for F2. Then I let the 2 flocks free range together during the day.

The first day the little cochin went right after the big sex-linked roo. It was ridiculous to watch. I went right out with a garden rake and pushed away the cochin any time he started something. After a day or two they were fine. The two flocks stayed clear of each other but there was no fighting. Several weeks later I waited until F1 was roosting for the night in their coop and then put F2 in the coop. They did fine and have shared the same coop ever since. They still mostly seperate out into their separate flocks while out and about but do just fine with each other.

Thank you so much for that info, it's really helpful knowing that other people have done it
smile.png

I only have 7 girls, 4 of those have not been moved into the flock yet (still chicks), and the new roo would come with one girl, do you think they would fight more over the girls?
hmm.png

I only did this today - so it may not be a success. I had a very rotten RIR rooster, who I today traded. I planned to come home with one rooster, but chicken math happened. I came home with a beautiful polish, and a black frizzle as well as another unknown type male. Since they were all "new" to the house, with no one rooster being dominant, I threw them in with the hens. I stayed in the run for about an hour and cleaned the coop and run, not interfering but observing. Then I spent another hour or so in the yard around the run cleaning rabbit hutches and dog stuff.

The biggest challenge came from my "queen" hen - she put each of the new boys down once or twice and when they submitted left them alone. I checked on everybody about every 1/2 hour or so until it was dark....no blood, no obvious fights.

The only problem came when it was bedtime. The hens went in and the new boys didn't seem to know what to do.....my pens cackled at them until I picked up the boys and put them in for the night. We'll see what tomorrow brings, but so far - so good.

Tressa

I have high hopes then!
But unfortunately both of the roosters I was looking at sold
hit.gif

I'll just have to keep looking
caf.gif

If anyone has pairs or trios of good quality Barnevelders, Jersey Giants, or Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas email/PM me

I thought of that, but I think that if the banty hen doesn't like his attempts then she will get away fast. My chickens are free ranging most of the day so she would have plenty of space to run away and hide

Back
Top Bottom