intruducing 1 week old Chicks to juveniles

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ShortCircuitRanch2332, Mar 16, 2011.

1. ShortCircuitRanch2332

ShortCircuitRanch2332 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    so I bought juvenile barred rocks on Friday 1 Roo & 1 Hen bout 2 1/2 3 months old and Sunday from another feed barn Purchased 4 Rhode Island reds 1 week old so seeing they are all healthy and very active all little handful's I decided to slowly begin introducing them to each other expecting the juveniles to try and show dominance I'm ready for anything and much to my surprise nothing they are perfectly fine with each other one of the chicks even jumped on the Roos back while he was roosted and went to sleep on him for a sec (and no i didn't get a pic i couldn't get the camera fast enough) [​IMG] But i and VERY happy they are okay with each other they are also adjusted to the rabbit My GF had me buy her when i got the chicks ill try and get a pic of them all together just thought id share this with you all. [​IMG]

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG]

It is great the introduction went so well, just keep an eye on them. I just got 10 1 to 1 1/2 week old chicks and 2 5+/- weeks olds. I divided the brooder with chicken wire so they could see each other but the big ones wouldn't step on the little ones. The older birds are super sweet white orps and the little one are mixed. This one little bitty chick decided he/she was Jackie Chan [​IMG] and started kicking the white orp through the wire. The orp then stuck its head through the wire, opened its mouth and tried to eat the chick. The whole head was in its mouth! [​IMG] I rescued little Jackie C. and it is ok. We now have a wooden divider in the brooder. [​IMG]

I just thought I would share my story with you. Chickens can be crazy sometimes. [​IMG]

3. ShortCircuitRanch2332

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    Thanks and i most deff keep my eye on them
    lmao that is so funny thank goodness you saved the lil jackie c.
    when i purchased my chicks there was a dead chick in there brooder and the first night i brought the chicks home I put them in a large cardboard box with wood chips and a heating pad on med under the wood chips (always use a heating pad i prefer them to lights) and after being busy for a while building there new coop i came in to check on them they were all laying on there sides and backs and looked dead I it startled me so much i was said kinda loud WHAT THE HELL AND and they all jumped up and started peeping and running around i was so re leaved lol thought id share another story back [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    [​IMG] from Tx [​IMG]

Congrats on the new additions!! or should I say Addictions... [​IMG]

5. ShortCircuitRanch2332

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

[​IMG] from Tx [​IMG]

Congrats on the new additions!! or should I say Addictions... [​IMG]

[​IMG] hahaha ya addictions is rite​

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I remember the first time I saw chicks do the "dead chick" thing. I almost had a heart attack! In fact one of my roos still does it and scares me from time to time. [​IMG]

I'm sorry you lost one of your babies. [​IMG]

7. ShortCircuitRanch2332

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    Quote:oh no i didnt lose one there was a dead baby in the brooder at the feed barn when i was buying them, then when i got them home they went to sleep and were all laying in the box like the dead baby was lol

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I would wait until your chicks are older and put the juvenile birds in quarantine longer. You could introduce cocci to your babies or something worse.

9. ShortCircuitRanch2332

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    they all seem very healthy i had the juveniles for a week before i got the chicks? and i got the chicks Sunday is it still to soon?[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  10. ShortCircuitRanch2332

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    HELLO (echo).....................hmm so can i have the chicks around the juveniles or do i need to quarantine them longer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by