Invasion of the Earwigs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by pbjmaker, Jun 18, 2010.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Why are we suddenly having this influx of earwigs in our home?????? I started seeing them a couple of years ago outside but in the last few days we are seeing them in our house. It has been raining a ton.

My two kids that are still at home are terrified of them ( 16 & 18 year olds) The 16 year old thinks they are gonna crawl in her ear!

http://www.insectsofalberta.com/images/2006-apr-3_earwig.jpg

2. tunaoftheland

tunaoftheland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    whenever we have a really rainy season, we get a ton of earwigs too. Last year was crazy, every time I opened the door of the chicken coop it rained earwigs. The (chicken) girls, loved it! This year it's been kind of dry though, so we don't have so many. Good luck! They are creepy!

3. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    We are having the same issue but with millipedes! yuck! Whenever it rains they come in from everywhere. We didn't have any problems until we got hard wood floors put in 2 years ago. 5 days ago we sprinkled sevin dust all around our foundation and I have seen maybe 3 in the house. I would try that, it really works keeping the bugs out!

4. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    With us it's millipedes also. There are literally hundreds. We have to sweep them out of the basement. Sevin helps a lot.

5. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:Yeah my hubby mentioned bringing the chickens in the house [​IMG] I will try the sevin dust - did the people who did this put it down inside or out? My basement is painted cement and cinder block and is damp.

6. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    earwigs have found their way into the cracked corn bin - girls are verrrrrry happy. They haven' started raining from the rabbit hutch door yet but it's only a matter of time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by