1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Iowa blue chicken for show?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by legit chickens, Sep 25, 2016.

1. legit chickens

legit chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Hey guys I have an Iowa blue hen and I was wondering if that is a breed that I am able to show at fairs and chicken shows?

2. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    What kind of fairs? I know I've shown my Iowa blues at 4-H fairs just fine, but since Iowa blues are not yet APA recognized, any huge show might not allow them to be shown or may give a substandard placement. Although, there are some shows that do allow Iowa blues.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

There is no breed standard accepted, so the judge can't judge them as there's no criteria to do so. What is the comb supposed to be? What color legs? What shape of the body? What angle of the tail on the male, the female? No standard, no criteria.
    It can't earn anything except Best of Breed, as it has no class to compete in. So that's that.

Most sanctioned shows allow non standard fowl, but that's mostly to pad the number of coop rental and clean up fees. If your purpose is to promote the birds? It's up to you as to whether it's worth it.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by