Iowa Blue Hen?

Futuregreenefarm

Songster
May 9, 2019
Morganton, GA
I am completely new to chickens. Always wanted some but waiting for bigger property we own and will build on. However, we recently had a Mama hen come into our current yard with 12 baby chicks. After some research, I believe she is an Iowa Blue Hen. After further research and comparing pictures of baby chicks, some of them strongly resembled black copper maran chicks and there is a rooster in our neighbor that's the spitting image of a BCM rooster. We have now aqcuired a coop, though small and the hen has taken to the house and goes in every night with her chicks. Don't know who owns her (have tried to find out) but I would like to keep a couple of the chicks. Any idea what kind of chicks they may turn out to be? I know they are mixed and this may be a dumb question (I am new to this), but would they be what y'all call a sex-link? Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20190509_103152.jpg
    IMG_20190509_103152.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 47
I'm not good at identifying breeds, but the sex-link trait depends on the mix the chickens are. So you would need to know the parents in order to know if they're sex links.

Looking at the mother, and not knowing what the father was, the chick's can't be sex linked.
That said, does the hen have a pea comb, or a single comb? It looks like a pea from the pics. If it is in fact a pea comb, then this chicken isn't an Iowa Blue as they have single combs.
Does she have feathered legs? how big is she?
Hey thanks everyone for replying. I honestly don't know the different combs. I'm including a close up of her and a pic (best I could get anyways) of the rooster that I believe is the father. And a body shot of her. She does not have feathered feet, however, a couple of the chicks do have feathered feet. I was just wondering about the sex link as I will need to re-home several of them and hoping to try to tell roosters from hens. It's fine with me if she is or isn't Iowa Blue. I think she is beautiful either way and I think she will stay with us if we don't find her owner. However, I hope I don't give away the hens and keep a bunch of roosters lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190513-214504.png
    Screenshot_20190513-214504.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190513_161515.jpg
    IMG_20190513_161515.jpg
    692.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20190513_113612.jpg
    IMG_20190513_113612.jpg
    677.6 KB · Views: 24
Thanks for your help. Her legs are grey. Not black but definitely dark grey and very shiny. A couple of the chicks have her legs and some have legs with the bottoms orange and the tops black. I wish to goodness I could get ahold of the chicks to post pics. I feel like some of them are looking like roosters already just from what I have seen on this site and 4 are already chest bumping or sparring off. I am sure they probably are a mix. How many roosters would you say on average would come out of a flock of 12 chicks?
Thanks again.

Thanks for your help. Her legs are grey. Not black but definitely dark grey and very shiny. A couple of the chicks have her legs and some have legs with the bottoms orange and the tops black. I wish to goodness I could get ahold of the chicks to post pics. I feel like some of them are looking like roosters already just from what I have seen on this site and 4 are already chest bumping or sparring off. I am sure they probably are a mix. How many roosters would you say on average would come out of a flock of 12 chicks?
Thanks again.

Chest bumping isn't a male behavior. Its a pecking order behavior.
At this point, I think the hen is a mix as well.

Back
Top Bottom