Iowa Blues from Ideal

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ethingtonart, Sep 19, 2009.

1. ethingtonart

ethingtonart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    Does anyone have pictures of their Iowa Blues pullets from Ideal Poultry? I'm thinking about getting some next spring and would like to know more about them first.

I would really like to see pictures!!! And I would like to know how many eggs they lay a week, what their personality is like, and anything else you might know!

Thanks!

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If you want the REAL Iowa Blues, get them from a private breeder.

From what I know about them, they are terribly broody and they do lay very nice eggs!

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Aren't they a cross of Marans & something? There was a thread about them a few months ago.

4. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

5. ethingtonart

ethingtonart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    If you want the REAL Iowa Blues, get them from a private breeder.

I'm not terribly concerned about getting a real Iowa blue at the moment, just something pretty and different for my laying flock.

Also, there is a little bit of information on Wikipedia listed under "Iowa Blue" (chickens).

idunno

They do seem to be a bit of a mystery. (Probably why I'm so intrigued. [​IMG])

I did see the other post and the wiki entry but I can't seem to dig up much more. I kinda wish Ideal had photos instead of drawings depicting the birds that they sell....

Anyone in BackYardChicken land have some?​

6. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Go to Yahoo, select Images, and do a search for "Iowa Blue." You'll probably find pics there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by