Iowa blues

I have Iowa Blues and love them. I had one hen go broody when the weather was warmer. She has since given up. However she kept alot of the eggs from freezing during the two week cold snap. Sand Hill Preservation has them and also info about them. Ideal orignally got them from Sandhill however Ideal has crossed them with something. I first ordered from Ideal. None of the Iowa Blues survived the shipping. So I contacted Sand Hill. Ideal has crossed them with something and won't admit it. Ideals Iowa Blue chicks look very different then Sandhills. Feathersite has what the chicks and adults should look like. They are chocolate colored(the chicks). Ideals Iowa Blues are black and white(the chicks). I don't know how Ideals feather out because mine didn't survive.

Last edited:
here's my girl:

you can click for a bigger photo

It's not a good pic, but maybe it will help.
wink.png

Last edited:
I read in a poultry book . . . that in the 1900's a hen went broody and came out with these chicks like no others in the area, and that the common thought was that they were the result of a pheasant cross mating and this was the basis of the foundation of Iowa Blues. I will have to look through my books to find where I read that.

Quote:
Yeah, I was interested in them a while back until I found out about the two different colors. I saw some where the hens were birchin and some hens were silver penciled, I wanted the penciled ones but I didn't know which they were suppposed to be and which I would end up with so I gave up on them.

Back
Top Bottom