Iowa Blues?

I don't know anything about them, but it is a breed. I knew a man last year that was starting a flock of them.

-Kim

Theres a description of them on the sandhill preservation site. We bought some eggs and tried to hatch them out, but we had some storms and the power went out , and the eggs didnt hatch well. I live in iowa, 19 miles west of where the breed originated from. A distant family member of mine owns the hatchery there in decorah and we had talked to him about the breed, and he said they hatched them for a while, but they werent real hardy chicks because they were so inbred. Didnt do well at all. He was also talking that at one point they were crossed with a pheasant, but who knows... They turn out to be nice looking birds though, but none of my chicks t hat hatched mangaged to make it.

Last edited:
I have seen them and I think they are beautiful bird, but I thinkl most blues are gorgeous LoL

Are you looking into getting some?

I found it: from Sandhill Preservation

Iowa Blue: Gray penciled pattern, pale brown eggs, single comb. Please note that these are not a blue chicken. Developed near Decorah, Iowa in the early 1900's. The breed was in desperate need of new blood and I have been working for the past few years to introduce new blood. There is still a slight possibility of an off-type bird. Chick color will range from a warm cocoa brown to black to an occasional mottled one. This breed is a somewhat seasonal layer. They go in spurts. When not broody, we get lots of chicks and then all of a sudden they go broody and we get nothing. This breed is not yet listed in the APA Standard. They do not have yellow legs. They make a nice breed for someone who wants a good forager which will set on eggs.

Wow...I wonder what those chickens I saw really were then?!

Here's some Wiki info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_Blue

I
checked the Feathersite pix and the ones I saw had the same patterns but the bottoms looked like a powdery blue. Wonder if the guys Andalusians got mixed up in a few of them....(he bred them too). This was the guy I got my Ameracana from that turned out to be a Black Sex Link LoL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom