Iowa Chicks!

llenger

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 23, 2014
Bussey, IA
Hello Everyone! I recently jumped head first into owning chickens, but then again thats how my husband and I normally start things! I have 25 7 week old chicks(16 Buff Orpington and 9 Production Reds). We live in Southern Iowa and own cattle(which we jumped into also), a dog, and a few cats(inside and out). I love animals and plan on owning plenty more. Right now my chicks are in our attached garage with a wood stove, so they are just loving it. I'm excited for spring so I can get there outside coop all fixed upand let them start roaming around the yard. I grew up with chickens at my Grandma's and just loved fresh eggs and meat. Now I feel like everything is so impersonal and I want to get back to my roots and do as much myself as possible. So glad to be apart of this community!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Nothing better than fresh eggs right from under the hen. Or fresh meat on the table either!

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Hi :welcome
Glad you could join the flock! Sounds like you have plenty to keep you very busy there with all your animals! I've had an orpington before and it was a lovely bird but unfortunatly it turned out to be a roo and did not like my dog he had to be rehomed, he has made a fabulous bird with some friends down the road. Have also had production reds and they were excellent egg layers. Hope you get lots of eggs from your birds. Wishing you the very best of luck with them all in the future and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Good luck with your Orpingtons and Production Reds! You'll get lots of nice eggs from them. I've had one Production Red, and she was a very good layer. Many people on these forums enjoy their Buff Orpingtons because they have excellent personalities.

welcome-byc.gif
We're glad you joined us!

Good luck with your chickens! You've chosen some nice, productive breeds.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Buff Orpingtons are a wonderful breed. I've raised them for years, and they are hardy, friendly and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and good layers of large brown eggs. The Production Reds are not quite as personable, but are even slightly better layers. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom