iPad review?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Whitehouse Quail, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Does anyone have an iPad? And if so, do you like it?

I am thinking of getting one for a gift this year, but want to be sure it will be a good one! [​IMG] THANKS!

2. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

I was thinking the same thing. Everyone I heard of that has an iPad really likes them. I haven't heard of anyone who doesn't. If I'm not mistaken, the 16GB ($499.00) is Wi-Fi only. With the others, you can subscribe for service so you can use them just about anywhere. If we get one, it will be the entry level 16GB. But I expect the price to come down quite a bit just before Christmas, so we'll wait a while. The new models are likely to be available in March or April, so those that are still left should go pretty cheaply. And if you really want to know if it will be a good one, well......there's an app for that. [​IMG]

Ed

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I got myself one last weekend, because I have always wanted one... But couldn't really justify the expense.

Then my dear, helpful friend broke my 8 year ol PC. (won't load Winows XP now, no matter what!)

I am using it now... Still learning. Got the 16GB version with WiFi and subscription data service. Had to upgrade from the lowest level data to next within 5 days.... Too much time on BYC! But that's because there is no free WiFi service near my house. Darn.

So far, I DO love it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  4. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    I love my iPad. Unless you are big on creating documents, presentations, or programming, the iPad should be everything you need. It's also gorgeous. It's not great as a standalone computer becuase of limitations like printing. But otherwise, it's a great machine. The Kindle app and the Nook app are really great too. I used it for school and conferences since I got it. It's great cuz it's nice and light and got great functionality.

The one issue I saw is, if you're likely to do a lot of typing, I would worry about the effect on your fingers of typing on a hard glass surface. But yeah, that's a rare person who's going to type enough to worry about that, especially on the iPad.

5. Whitehouse Quail

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Thanks for the info, I will definitely have to keep in mind the no programming, but my Wordpress stuff would work okay. I was also going to buy a Mifi by Verizon or Virgin Mobile instead of spending more money on the iPad itself, just because AT&T is AWFUL where we live. But with verizon, it seems everywhere has 3g.

Oh and Gryeyes, if you want me to I can send a cd of Linux.... you can get all your files, and maybe install it on your PC. Here's a link! [​IMG] http://www.ubuntu.com/

Will let y'all know how it goes!

6. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

My dad just replaced his lap top with an ipad. To get around the typing problem he uses a wireless keyboard with it. All of his pictures are on it and all the grandkids love to sit and flip through pictures - where they won't look through albums!

7. Whitehouse Quail

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Where would you reccomend getting a keyboard? And what do you think of the Apple iWork suite?

8. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I'd wait till the one with the camera comes out. Which is soon.

9. Whitehouse Quail

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Update! [​IMG]

My laptop has officiallly crashed for the last time. The hard drive went out! :O

So, I was gifted an older desktop, which now will become my programming computer/burner, and my iPad is my laptop. I am buying the keyboard dock and camera adapters, so I will be able to use it as my laptop.

If I can't refuse the new version, I will sell this one and buy the next one. (Some studys show that Apple products sell for the closest to retail values as ever seen... let's hope it's true! [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by