iPads, who has one?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by joe17, Nov 20, 2010.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Im starting to save up my money to buy an apple ipad for Christmas. Does anyone have an ipad? Do you think it is worth the money? They are pretty expensive but they are soo neat!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    How could you type with an i-Pad?

Or are they just for reading...

A lurkers luxury.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Here is an interesting review. Guess I'll keep my laptop PC
    Not a Max i Pad

4. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:go for it iPads are so awsome! i have an iPod touch right now. someone should make an app for this website.

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I thought about getting one there great (I want to say toy but that's not quite the word for it!) but I refuse to pay another data fee. I just really feel like it should be optional like the iPod! We already have 4 iPhones and that's $30 data fee a month per phone. So i'll stick with my laptop!! [​IMG]

6. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:If you've ever messed with an iPhone it's basically the same thing just alot bigger!! Everything on it is touch!!

7. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    If you only use it on wifi (like I do), there isn't a data fee.

I love my iPad and used it all through school for taking notes and everything. It's not a standalone device - you need to have a real Mac as well, but if you already have a Mac in the house, you'll be fine.

I love my iPad. It's great for travel and for reading and for taking notes and for the fun apps which are unlike anything else. I really wish it wasn't a closed system so I could program on it, but other than that, it's really fun. I'd totally get one if you can afford it.

If you're just looking for a reading device, I highly recommend the Kindle. If you're looking for a real computer that's highly portable, but still a real computer, I recommend the new macbook Air, which is what I'm typing this on now.

8. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:So they have it where you don't have to get the data service now?? When we looked into buy one it was mandatory you had to get it!! Ha, learn something new everyday!!

9. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    No, of course, you don't have to get the data plan. If you just use it at home or on other wifi networks you don't need it. They can't force you to buy a plan. Personally, I could not live without the 3G. I actually use it as a GPS all the time. When I ended up in the ER with my son, I used Skype to make calls on it because I left my cell at home. It has gotten me out of a lot of jams. Paying the fee for the plan irks me though. I think $30 a month is too much, but that's what it is, so we pay it. I wish it had a camera. I hope the next generation has one.

The only thing I don't prefer it for is reading. I am not a big fan of the backlit screen for reading so I don't use it much for that. I much prefer my husband's Kindle, which I have taken over because he kept breaking them, for reading. LOL Otherwise, it's a godsend.

10. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:Good information exept you don't have to have a Mac, it can be most any computer as long as you put iTunes on it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by