Ireland Vacation

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by redoak, Jun 20, 2008.

1. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    A few peeps on here were asking so instead of highjacking another thread........We went the last week of May and the first week of June to Ireland, just the start of tourist season. We flew into Shannon airport with Aer Lingus. Great airline, very friendly people, good food, but was odd the flight attendants selling cigarettes during the flight (no smoking flight). We spent all of our time in southwestern Ireland and stayed in Ballyvaugh, Connomara, Ennis, Kinsale, and Kenmare. Ireland is very fast becoming a very modern place but Ballyvaugh and Connomara still had the Irish charm. We stopped at all the tourist sites old castles, dolmens, abbeys, ,emmigration ports, churches, cliffs, caves, forts, craft shops, etc. My favorite place was Craggaunowen, the living past. This place had everything from stone age to a real middle ages fort. The best tour we went on was with a farmer of the Burren area, he knew all the plants, history, geology, etc and had a lot of character. We also climbed Croagh St. Patrick, where St. Patrick banished all the snakes from Ireland. In Connomara and Ballyvaugh they didn't have lawnmowers but instead had cattle guards in their driveways to keep the livestock in their yards. They also used sheep to mow the sides of the road. I didn't like the national parks very much, to me they just weren't Ireland. They were grown up with trees and you were surrounded by "green wall" everywhere. Overall Ireland is a very beautiful with very nice people.

PS Bring your chicken pictures, I only encountered one chicken on the trip in Ballyvaugh, and she was 1/2 painted red from walking threw a freshly painted fence.

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Ah Ireland. I went there when I was 13 with my riding group, and we rode horses at all different places across Ireland, and went to the Royal Dublin Horse show (biggest horse show in the world) it was fabulous, but crazy [​IMG] I want to go back

3. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Great story Redoak. Got any pictures? Did you visit the pubs at all? How was the food?

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    We went out to a pub most nights for dinner and stayed a few times for the music. Most places had traditional live Irish music a few times a week. The food was very good, especially the breakfasts at the B&Bs. Just avoid the kippers for breakfast, they stay with you all day long. We usually shopped at a grocery store for lunch fixings. My favorite dinner was the Irish stew (beef, potatoes, carrots) but was very sweet. Still working on pictures, the wife took over 350, but have slow dial-up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by