Irratic laying .

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JimnJanet, Mar 4, 2008.

1. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    I have 8 pullets,(mutts), that are now around 10 months old.I was told they wouldn't start laying till late March early April. Well, on Jan. 28 we got our first egg. About a week later i got two eggs in one day, one in the morn and one in the afternoon and both were in the nest box.I had one other 2 egg day when one was found in the nest box and a wee small one was found on the floor in the litter, (obviously a first lay). All other days,untill the day before yesterday,there was a regular laying of only one egg every other day.
    The day before yesterday, i got our first clutch of 3 eggs all in the nest box.
    Yesterday, we had two eggs, one in the morn and one in the afternoon.Today, one egg.
    Is this normal behaviour? Does the weather effect this? Is it their age?
    Our temps have been extreem to say the least. From single digits to 40's back to single digits, to 50's back to single digits to over 60 degrees and now we're on our way back down into the twenties.

2. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes, they will start laying that young for sure. They will lay kind of erratic until the days get longer. Between being young, and the time of year, that is very normal behavior. Laying is determined by a combination of the age of the birds, the length of the day light, their diet, and their stress level. Good luck!

3. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Quote:Thanx Cuda, i thot so. I believe i can handle the last two. They git too much of thier favorite foods and way too much love form us [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by