Irresponsible Owners....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ScaredOfShadows, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay for all those of us that like to be thread killers and high jackers of the litter threads heres your chance to voice your opinions instead of clogging and taking over those threads.... While I agree spay and neuter is the way to go with any animal that is not being used to better the breed or has something to offer to the breed.

Yes I want to smack owners who let their dogs and cats get pregnant, who purposefully breed them and in my opinion they are back yard breeders even if the animal is their pet - its still irresponsible and the litter had no point in being born and just needlessly adding the unwanted and eventually destroyed animals in this world.

I have rescued many dogs, cats, kittens, puppies, and other critters that were unwanted, on deaths door, injured, etc...It always makes me mad to see it.....

You know last year I was driving behind this SUV that pulled off the side of the road and in my rearview mirror I seen them toss a box on the roadside, and drive off...I turn around and go back as it just didn't sit right with me...Those heartless idiots had dropped of 5 kittens that weren't 3 weeks old, and looked as if they were already on deaths door...I lost 1 of the kittens but the other 4 grew up to be adopted with spay/neuter contracts and I keep up with 2 of them. These kittens are just 1 set of many me and my family has saved over the years and kept or rehomed.

so your input on the issue?

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I agree that adoption is the way to go. And spaying and neutering is one of the steps and owner SHOULD take. But it is unfair to hijack a thread when a person is so happy about the new lives born into their family. Why should someone dampen their spirits when we should support them in finding new homes. We do not know the story of how the pregnancy happened or if the owner already has homes for the babies...so why judge?

3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I whole-heartedly believe that all dogs and cats should be spayed and neutered, unless the person is an extremely responsible breeder. A responsible breeder should only breed pure breeds, should test all of their breeders for problems they could pass to their offspring, should have a good and specific purpose for breeding the animal, should try their hardest to improve the breed, and I am sure there are many more things responsible breeders do, but I am not a breeder! I hate walking into the animal shelter. The terror in the eyes of all those innocent dogs and cats makes me sick. I rescued my lab mix from a shelter that kills 40 dogs a day! She had almost been put down twice herself before we found her, but a rescue had taken her in for a while. Two of my cats are from the shelter, and the other one was abandoned at a school. I wish so much that people would do spay and neuter all of their pets (except for the most responsible breeders), and all of the ferals they could find. Then we would have no more kill-shelters, and we would not be killing our best friends. In a few years this could be possible, but we all have to work together. [​IMG]

4. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    How does my dogs having puppies relate in any way to dogs in a shelter? I've kept all my pups for their entire lives. If I hadn't had a litter of pups, I would have gotten dogs from someone I know.

5. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Quote:You do realize that is a very rare case. If you are going to keep that many dogs, then that's your choice. But obviously, those litters of puppies and kittens got in the shelter somehow. Just sayin. [​IMG]

6. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Quote:You do realize that is a very rare case. If you are going to keep that many dogs, then that's your choice. But obviously, those litters of puppies and kittens got in the shelter somehow. Just sayin. [​IMG]

*sigh* Yea I guess I can't help it I'm strange that way in being responsible for what I have. [​IMG]

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I whole-heartedly believe that all dogs and cats should be spayed and neutered, unless the person is an extremely responsible breeder. A responsible breeder should only breed pure breeds, should test all of their breeders for problems they could pass to their offspring, should have a good and specific purpose for breeding the animal, should try their hardest to improve the breed, and I am sure there are many more things responsible breeders do, but I am not a breeder! I hate walking into the animal shelter. The terror in the eyes of all those innocent dogs and cats makes me sick. I rescued my lab mix from a shelter that kills 40 dogs a day! She had almost been put down twice herself before we found her, but a rescue had taken her in for a while. Two of my cats are from the shelter, and the other one was abandoned at a school. I wish so much that people would do spay and neuter all of their pets (except for the most responsible breeders), and all of the ferals they could find. Then we would have no more kill-shelters, and we would not be killing our best friends. In a few years this could be possible, but we all have to work together.

I concur! www.rescuehouse.org

8. ladycrotalus

ladycrotalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Massena, NY
    I just ditched my 2 friends because they became bybs. They are gonna breed their pitbull who isn't properly trained, isn't in good health, who just got her first heat so they can make money off the pups. She hasn't been vetted, i don't even know if she has her vaccinations. I doubt it since their cats don't get vetted. Their one cat had to suffer for a month, barely being able to breathe because of a upper respiratory infection. I kept hammering it in that she needs to see the vet but she never did. She is better now but now she has a litter of 5 kittens. They just got another kitten from her husbands sister n law. The cats are urinating and defecating under the stove and in the house because they are too lazy to clean the litter box, when they do clean the litter box they only put a thin layer of litter in it. Despite me telling them that they need a thick layer so they can bury the waste. Irregardless, the cats already have the bad habits from when they don't clean the litter boxes. The pit puppy whose name is Bella, they got from another byb when the pup was only 4 weeks old if that for her 7 yr old kid last xmas. They buy the cheapest food for these animals because they spend their money on weed and alcohol and cell phones and ps3 games and a new car. Whenever their is a problem with the animals they contact me and then they don't listen to my advice. I can't handle the stress of them so i severed our friendship. I refuse to enable them and i can only afford my own animals. I sent them a long message with links and the costs of all the things that can go wrong with breeding dogs and cats and that was that. I haven't heard from them begging to remain friends with me, nothing. So i can only hope they grew some brains and responsibility. They didn't even have a doggy diaper on Bella, they just let her bleed on the floor and furniture. [​IMG]
    I got prices on what it would cost if Bella develops a pyometra, needs an emergency c-section, or even if she dies and the costs of hand raising the pups and getting the pups vaccinations and how much food they are gonna go through.

9. 2cool4you

2cool4you Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2010
    The Craigslist pet section is a prime reason why spaying and neutering is necessary. It's because people are too irresponsible with animals and don't take care of what they have. It's why I spay and neuter my pets. I get flack all the time for neutering my rabbit. Rabbit people say it's completely unecessary and bad for the rabbit. And yet 3 blocks over people have let their rabbits outside in their yard to breed uninhibited. They range the whole neighborhood and foxes and raccoons are in abundance drawn by the rabbits.

My alley was filled with feral cats suffering from disease and malnutrition when I moved here. 37 cats just running wild and breeding. But I trapped them all and got them all neutered and spayed and vaccinated through the feral cat program. I feed them along with other neighbors that I got into helping. Now we are down to only 8 feral cats as the others have been eaten by coyotes or hit by cars. I couldn't prevent that and did my best for them but if someone had taken responsibility for their pets those cats wouldn't have suffered.

The guy who used to live behind me had 2 intact pitbulls. NO fence. Numerous times they came through my fence and tore it down to get to my cats and my ducks. The guy bred them, litter after litter of pitbulls. People who had no business owning a dog got some of these puppies. The meth house 2 blocks over got 4 of them to protect their property. They all ran loose and had more litters. Finally animal control came in because of constant complaints and a bicycle cop got chased by the pits. The meth house was raided one night and They were all rounded up and taken in and most likely euthanized. The guy behind me also had his dogs taken because he let them roam. Not helping the breed's image, costing tax payers money, and contributing to the mass of unwanted dogs out in the world.

10. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    at the first sign of troublwe they will just dump her at the pound for someone else to care for their problem. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by