Irritable bowel syndrome and hormones etc.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Justhatched, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and I have had it for years. I learned that I am okay as long as I don't eat beef or pork. It was suggested to me that it could be the hormones etc. that those animals are getting. Do chickens or turkeys get different hormones? I'm able to eat them. Anyone know about this? I saw at a local restaurant they sell free range no hormone etc. pork, beef and chicken. I am so afraid to try the beef and pork. The pain is unbearable. If trying the free range no hormone meat would mean that I could enjoy the same meal with my family I think I would eventually do it. I was just wondering if anyone has this experience or knows anything about it.

Thank you

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I don't know about IBS. I do have a friend with fibromyalgia, and her symptoms are lessened by eating hormone free meats. We have a local butcher that she uses religiously. He is quite pricey, but to someone who reacts to the hormone, it is definitely worth it to her!

3. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    I have IBS and I'm not sure about the hormone free stuff. I do know my sister reacts very poorly to beef. I always thought it was the general make up of the meat rather than the hormones?

Interesting topic.... let us know if you find out anything more please.

4. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Quote:I'm wondering it it's the hormones and not the beef or pork itself that I have problems with. I will keep you posted with what I find out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by