Irritated Breast Bone Area with Missing feathers

fivehorizons888

Chirping
Apr 8, 2019
I have 12 chickens and my 2 Golden Buffs have been looking a bit rough this spring. I figured they were just going through a molting stage (they are about 18 months old). However, upon further investigation, I noticed their breast bone area is very bare and reddish. The reddish are could be just from rubbing on the roosts (4 inch board) I have tried looking for mites but don't see anything visibly (it could be that i just cant see them). Other than that they are acting totally normal. Any thoughts?

thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2392.JPG
    IMG_2392.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 84
I have 12 chickens and my 2 Golden Buffs have been looking a bit rough this spring. I figured they were just going through a molting stage (they are about 18 months old). However, upon further investigation, I noticed their breast bone area is very bare and reddish. The reddish are could be just from rubbing on the roosts (4 inch board) I have tried looking for mites but don't see anything visibly (it could be that i just cant see them). Other than that they are acting totally normal. Any thoughts?

thank you!
I would guess it's the four inch boards. their breast bone is probably touching the board while they roost.
A tree branch about one and a half inches diameter would probably sort that out.:)

One of my hens had big naked spot that I noticed, kind of shocked me and I looked for mites too. I noticed there was feathers on one of the nests and then when I went on the Internet, saw its called a brooding patch and the chicken pulls out her feathers so her skin can be closer to the eggs. Look in your nests and see if any of them are lined with feathers. I am not sure but that would be my guess.

One of my hens had big naked spot that I noticed, kind of shocked me and I looked for mites too. I noticed there was feathers on one of the nests and then when I went on the Internet, saw its called a brooding patch and the chicken pulls out her feathers so her skin can be closer to the eggs. Look in your nests and see if any of them are lined with feathers. I am not sure but that would be my guess.
Does it look irritated and red or just naked? My chickens naked area was just bare and not irritated looking.

At first I was thinking the same but they are not broody at all.

Back
Top Bottom