Irritated Eye on Gosling

Discussion in 'Geese' started by littledear, Mar 23, 2012.

1. littledear

littledear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Cabot, Arkansas
    Can anyone advise me on what to do with a two day old gosling that has gunk in her eye? It has been this way since she hatched. I have tried to clean it out with water and by dipping the side of her head in water. She scratches at it with her foot. We can open the eye and see white gunk in it. It is red and swollen. We have managed to get some of the white gunk out but she is still not opening the eye and using it. It was dried shut this morning and we used water to get it unstuck and partially opened so that we could get some of the white stuff out of her eye. I feel very badly for her and would like to help her. Thanks for any input to this problem.

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Go and buy yourself a brand new tube of Neosporin. Put some into the eye twice a day.

Never touch the tube to anything, or you will contaminate it. You squeeze the meds into her eye and twist the tube to break off the chunk of Neosporin into her eye. She will spread the medication around all by herself by blinking. You will want to keep her from shaking her head until she has blinked a couple of times.

3. littledear

littledear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Cabot, Arkansas
    Thank you so much for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by