1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Irritated eyes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by quackers619, Sep 6, 2016.

1. quackers619

quackers619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    So i have a quick question, I have a duck that is blind in one eye and her crest covers her good eye, i shave it back so she has some vision however her eyes seem to get irritated is it ok to wash them out daily with saline solution? Any advice would be great

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd keep it weak solution. Do you trim the feathers enough to keep them out of her eye? That may help with the irritation. Or maybe just warm water and saline a couple times a week.

3. quackers619

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    yes we keep the feathers out of her eyes. Her hair in easy to keep up with because she falls fast asleep when you pick her up. Not only is she blind but she is a little on the slow side. So she trys hard to clean herself but its kinda funny to watch. thanks for Info i will only do it once or twice a week

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Bless her heart and yours for taking such good care of her. Salt water is great for healing but using too much may irritate her eyes more so a few times a week would be best. If they look irritated. Probably just washing her head in a bucket of water with a small amount of ACV would help too. 1 Tab to 1 gal of water.

5. quackers619

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    Thanks for the advice everyday she is becoming more duck like so i think as time go's on she will get better at cleaning herself but in the mean time i think she needs just a little help....what about cleaning around the eye with a warm wash cloth and if it looks really irritated then i will treat it?

6. quackers619

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    were do i find acv?

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Apple Cider Vinegar can be found in just about every grocery store,. That will have to be diluted in water like i gave info on it is watered down enough it won't burn and you can barely taste it[ I tried it] It not only kills some bacteria but is also a good tonic for our flock and for us. My birds have drank it in their water since hatched. I put it in their drinking water 3X a week. I also clean all my waterers and buckets and pools with the white vinegar and food dishes.

Yes by all means clean around her eyes with a soft warm wet wash cloth. Good way to show her love too. [​IMG].

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by