Is 10 months too late to fix curled toes/folded feet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tlouiselle, Oct 27, 2015.

1. tlouiselle

tlouiselle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    I have a 10 month old silkie who has her outer toes on both feet folded/curled under. I took her when I bought my other chicks from a breeder. The breeder assured me it would not impact her quality of life. I just could not show her. I brought her home and she is now my favorite in the flock.

We have run into an issue though, since part of her feet are folded under, she is walking/standing on a portion where feathers grow. As a result she has infected ingrown feathers. I found this out when I dug in for bumblefoot.

I was talking to a gentlemen at a chicken show over the weekend, asking the best way to treat her. He basically told me that she will eventually die from a staph infection and she should have been culled.

Well, now I am attached and crushed. I am hoping there is a way to save her. I know I have seen articles for fixing curled toes on babies before the bones set...is it possible with an older chicken after the bones have set though? I can't find any information about fixing toes on adults.

They are folded under and inwards similar to this chick's left foot:

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Other than surgery, I doubt that anything can be done at this point in the game. It would probably help to keep her in an extremely clean, dry environment; ie, no more free ranging or time spent on the ground.

3. tlouiselle

Mar 15, 2015
    Thank you. I am thinking she is going to become a house chicken.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It may also be too late for vitamins, but I would try to treat her for vitamin B2 or riboflavin deficiency. It certainly would not hurt.

5. tlouiselle

Mar 15, 2015
    Thank you! I will get her on them. I have been talking with a lady who has a rooster with the same issues. She has to keep him indoors. So Gabby is a house chicken now. I hate taking her away from everyone though :-(

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It can only be corrected as a chick, and it needs to be done quickly. At this point, there isn't anything you can do but what the others have suggested.

7. tlouiselle

Mar 15, 2015
    Thank you. I have her indoors now. She is actually sleeping in a dog bed next to me while I am typing this haha. I am thinking that after I get the infection under control and she heals, I can keep her indoors and on some days as long as it is dry she can go out to see her "friends" and I will make sure to soak/clean her feet after her visits when everyone is free ranging.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by