Is 100lbs of chick starter too much for 6 chicks?

cluckylisa

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Central Minnesota
I've ordered 6 chicks, 3 barred rocks and 3 red/gold stars. The local feed stores only sell in 100 lb bags. Am I going to have extra chick feed left over when it's time to switch to layer feed? Or can I mix the chick starter with scratch or layer feed? The chicks will be in the brooder for the first 4-5 weeks and then in an enclosed run/coop area with supervised yard/foraging privilges (too many neighborhood dogs that cannot be trusted, even if I'm standing over the chickens). I'll be treating them with greens/yogurt/yummies from the treat list.

Use that as an excuse to buy more chics
cool.png

Why are you putting them out so early?

We had to buy the 100 pound bag also for 6 chicks. At laying age or about 20 weeks, I switched to the layer pellets.

I did have some left over but used it to make warm mashes once in a while and they loved it.

I would chop up vegetable scraps, some chick starter and warm water and mix it all together.

Makes a good treat.

Some people use the feed for their brooder floor, then you don't have to worry about chicks eating shavings.. just poop if you don't clean it enough. I was told not to buy too much though as it loses it's nutritional value so if you do get it, definitely seal it well in a trash can or something airtight, maybe split it up so you can store it well and not keep exposing to the air.

Nancy

Freezing some would help it keep its nutitional value longer.

Be careful giving greens to very young chicks. It can give them the runs. I'd suggest only introducing one treat at a time and see how it effects their digestion. After a couple of days, if they are OK, you could introduce another treat.

And with some of the treats, they probably need grit.

The suggestion to freeze some is a great one! As is using an airtight sealed container for storage. I am sure you will end up using 100# of chick starter within the 5 months before they start laying. No worries!!
wink.png

Quote:
Yes 100lb bag is definetly too much for 6 chicks.

You don't want to feed them stale spoiled starter.

I never buy more than my birds can eat in 3, at most 4 weeks.

100lb starter for 30 days (max keeping food time) equals 3lb + per day. 6 chicks will not eat 3lb per day, not 2lb per day, not even 1lb per day.

I got 27 chicks from Cackle 2 and a half weeks ago , bought 25lb bag, did not use even 10lb by now.

When you chickies get big enough you can use a 50/50 mixture of poultry grain and starter until the starter is gone.

Also, I keep a canister of medicated starter just in case I have a sick hen or roo. They really like the stuff and will eat it when they will not eat their poultry grain. You can mix it with yogurt and water and treat the ones you need to nurse back to health.

Back
Top Bottom