is 102.7 to hot due to crud incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken delighted, Aug 5, 2011.

1. chicken delighted

chicken delighted Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    mesick,michigan
    just found out the hard way my incubator is a piece of crud.
    i had bought a new LG so could do a stargged hatch and have room for all the eggs well when doing a pre warming test to my wonder the temp has been steady for hours . now being a newbie when i got my frist one ,temp went up and down , very touchy dial thought this is normal NOT [​IMG]
    you should be able to mantain a regular temp for hours and not need to get lack of sleep checking on the thing as my husband did we thought we had given birth to a styafoam box with eggs , we lost sleep and took turn staying up checking temp for it went up and down so quickly
    some how no bells went off in our heads saying hey! it's the tempature controler [​IMG]
    so how after this discovery i have the delima of eggs that got up to the temp of 102.7(how long i do not know i quess no more then an hour) this is the 3 day in have i lost another set do to my wonderful crud box incubator [​IMG]

2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Oh, don't be so over dramatic... Ha ha I am kidding. I had the same problems, but what you need to do is add a PC computer fan to the incubator. It is really easy. If you wanna know how could send you a few links.

3. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I am just rambling now, but I wonder..... if the fan doesn't make that big of a difference,... Could you replace the thermostat with a wafer thermostat? I know it would cost less to buy a hovabator in the first place, but for us who already have the Little Giant incubator could you add a wafer thermostat too it? I am going to look at my incubator for a second and see if it could be done.

4. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    How long have you had it? I'm sure there is some kind of contact info on the paperwork. I'd give them a call and see what they can do for you. If nothing else box it up and take it back to place of purchase.

5. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:Okay, I checked out my little giant and it looks like the wafer thermostat modification could be done very easy. I wanna try it so bad now. I am also wanting to put a fan in mine. I haven't used it in about a year, I checked it not too long ago and the heating worked.
    I only advised you to do this, because I have an older model, and cant sell it for more than maybe 10 dollars, so I figure that if I replace the thermostat with a wafer thermostat, and a fan, than it would be as good as a hovabator. I Will have to wait to get a wafer thermostat, maybe if i could get 2 a piece for my chicks, than I could get 20 dollars, and come up with the rest doing some other job.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  6. MommaBugg

MommaBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN
    I have been running my LG for two days now, and have been very lucky, it keeps a steady temp at 99.5... I only wish I could monitor humidity.. either of you know of a good brand meter that has digital thermstat and humidity readings?

7. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Dont give up on the eggs,give em a chance.
    Some eggs have been know to survive worse spikes than that.

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    OP, there is no easy answer. My LG spiked too, still developing embryos; I won't know the damage until after hatch. IMO, depends on length of time at that temp and it this water wiggler temp or air temp? If egg temp, you maybe ok; if air temp, then increased chances.Sorry this isn't the definite answer that you need. I'm waiting for mine to hatch to see the damage, too.

a good brand meter that has digital thermstat and humidity readings?

I use one from Walmart.I did not calibrate for humidity as general range of humidity is sufficient and not as important as specific temperature. I do prefer the fish tank glass thermometers myself as they are small an I can place several in my LG in different locations. I put a PC fan in my LF on a 6 v output = hardly any air movement. A higher output might work.​

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  9. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I found with my LG on the really hot days that if I took a small 4 inch fan and angled it to blow through one of the vents I could pull enough fresh air in the incubator to decrease the temperature when it got really hot. I haven't had a spike since. If it gets to 100.6 I set the fan up and it keeps the temp from increasing more than that. Just a thought.

I also do have the internal fan as well so my internal temp is all the same. It's very easy to add a pc fan and hitch it to a small plug like what you would use for a cell phone charger and it really does help.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  10. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    I just remembered my first hatch I had set the bator outside and forgot it was and temps hit over 115+ for a bit and my eggs were fine.
    A little slow on the draw came 2 days late.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by