Is 12 chicks too many for a bantam to raise?

angidee

Songster
9 Years
Feb 26, 2010
Washington
I have a bantam hen sitting on 7 eggs (4 bantam, 3 standard) and has been to due to hatch any day. I had a silk sitting on some eggs at the same time, but abandoned them and I put them in my incubator. (Unfortunately the incubator is packed full of other eggs due another date also).

These abandoned eggs are starting to hatch at this very moment, and I am guessing that means bantam is becoming a momma right now as well. So I am wondering if I might be able to give these to the new momma instead of putting them in a brooder and trying to mix my other chicks due in a couple weeks.

If I did this, bantam would have a total of 4 panties and 8 standards (assuming all hatch). Is this too many or should I stick with the brooder and blending later?

You shouldn't have any trouble with her taking them. Put them under her as soon as you see dry chicks under her, but be sure to do it at night so she wakes up with them. Normally I would emphasize being there when she wakes up to be sure she doesn't reject them, but in this case, all should go well.........Pop

I Definitely stand by if asking a Hen to adopt other chicks for a while.. You can usually tell real fast if shes going to welcome them right in .. or if she starts pecking at it. I tried to add two Practical Identical chicks that could have used her love and spared me the work.. one she took right under her wing the other she refused .. But the Chick was about 5 days old and a Brat ! I Eventually had to put that Chick in with another group that was about 2 weeks old and she tried to cause trouble with them too... But they set her straight after a while
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom