is 16 hens too much for an 8x8 coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ticks, Mar 26, 2009.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I have an 8x8 coop that now houses 4 chickens, I have ordered 12 more. They use the coop primarily to Lay and sleep, food and water is outside, I have a few ducks that make it messy. I am going to expand the run which is not 8x12 into a 16x20.
    What are your thoughts?

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Ticks -

Sounds fine. If you add your run space to your coop space & divide by 16, you have 24sq.ft. per bird. I have 27 birds in a 14x12 coop with a 10x30 run. That's 17 sq.ft. per bird. My birds are SPREAD OUT(!) We give them garden veggies in the summer & scratch in the deep litter in the winter. They stay busy, busy.

3. clayhill

clayhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Lee County, Arkansas
    I think the coop is adequate, though I think you've reached your limit. Run could be larger though unless you free-range during the day.
    Good luck.

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I keep 20 birds in 40 square feet indoors and 1600 square feet outdoors and my birds are healthy and are laying well.

5. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    do you have really bad winters? or do they go outside everyday? that's the only reason when I'd think you'd need a bigger inside...if it's inclement for long periods...

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:They go out in -30 degree weather.
    Their choice.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I also think it's enough room if you have a run so they can get outdoors when they want to. If it's really a bad blizzard day here in winter I lock 30 plus up sometimes and they do not seem to mind in a 12 by 14 henhouse.

8. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    THanks [​IMG]

Do you think in the future it could hold more than 16? or is that pretty much max?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by