Is 2 coops in 1 run a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Debs55, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Instead of having one huge coop...for 35 chickens and then a large run. what about 2 smaller coops (including nesting boxes in each) with acess to the same large run? what do yall think about this?

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I was planing on doing the same thing, so I would like to know too?

3. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I have 2 coops in one large run. I also have a door where I can split the large run into two separate runs if need be. Each have a coop in it.

4. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm kind of thinking like a coop on each end with fence in between so that 2 sides are the coops and 2 are fence so the run will be in between them both. i hope that made sense :)

5. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Yup, made sense. That will work too. :)

6. Bean789

Bean789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Spring Hill, FL
    I am considering the same situation with 2 coops and 1 shared run. How has this worked out for you?

7. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    I have one run for two coops. There are actually three, the modified dog house is a quarantine/grow out coop that I fence off within the main run when in use. This is a 300 sq ft run with about 50 sq ft of coop space between the two big coops.

[​IMG]

8. ptjeff

ptjeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    unless you divide the run, how do you keep all the girls going to one coop at the end of the day?

9. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I would figure that all of the chickens would go into ONE coop at the end of the day and be crowded. Dunno. Interesting idea.

10. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    I actually started with one coop for my first six girls, then added 5 girls about 3 months later and a new coop. So while they share run space, my first six still sleep in "their" coop. Although they all lay in one coop (and one box) and share coops during the day. Crazy chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by