is 2 weeks long enough?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Vickir73, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Vickir73

Vickir73 Chickens Ate My Brain

Sep 9, 2010
    Leggett/Livingston
    I have teenagers that I have been keeping in a separate pen in my main coop for 2 weeks. Is 2 weeks a long enough "training" period for them to know the main coop is where they should now roost at night? or will they attempt to go back to the "baby" coop? Should I leave them locked up for another few weeks before letting them out? (I do have a fan on them since losing one to the heat. Although they do have good ventilation and there is a good breeze, (when we get one) going thru there, the fan has made a huge difference.)

With my original flock, I kept them locked in the coop for 6 weeks, but that was because I had guineas I wanted to "train." I'm hoping I don't have to keep these girls locked up 6 weeks? Thanks.

2. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    mine come out the baby house and get put into the main barn at the end of the day, once they've been out and wandering round the following day, i will have to catch them and put them in the barn myself, this may carry on for 2 days max with my birds but after that they know the score. It all really depends on the size of the area they range and reside. If its very big, they may stray.

3. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    I think two weeks is definitely a long enough training period, I only had to do 1 week for mine and they were fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by