Is $20 for a Copper Marans pullet to much??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kathryn4629, May 28, 2010.

1. Kathryn4629

Kathryn4629 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    There is a lady near by who is selling 5 month old French Copper Marans pullets for $20 each. Seems a little steap to me. But she does say that they are pure bred and most of her hens lay super dark speckled eggs.

Advice? I am totally new to this [​IMG]

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    If they're good quality birds, that seems like a pretty reasonable price, [​IMG]

3. illegal avian

illegal avian Cooped up

Apr 21, 2010
    Third World, Texas
    That's a better deal than straight run at $10... 0% mortality... I think it is a very fair price.

4. Kathryn4629

Kathryn4629 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    Quote:Thanks, thats kind of what I thought when you consider the price of feed and such.

5. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    And, as already stated.....not having to deal with unwanted roosters is worth a lot.
    I paid $6.00 for my strait run day olds.............good luck It is a nice breed.

6. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

If we're talking uber dark gorgeous chocolate eggs from healthy breeding stock Pullet hen I'd pay it

Way cheaper than hatchery stock when you add in the crazy shipping fees and you can see first.

7. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    I will race you to it!!! ha ha.... Nice price for a quality bird.... do some homework on the line the seller is selling and go visit the marans thread...Someone over there can give you some advice about the lines etc and buying... and maybe someone has purchased from the same person!!!

Good luck with your new bird. [​IMG] Get three or four of em for that price... It is a steal... I drove 6 hours to pick up two breeding stock older hens and I got a discount on it... They set me back a cool 100 bucks!!! Plus gas etc... I was whistling Dixie to get them. [​IMG]

[​IMG] Here are the girls eggies... (not the white ones)

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  8. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh man Geebs you LUCKY duck! Those eggs are AMAZING!!

9. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like a great deal to me concidering i've bought over 5 dozen and only had 4 hatch... 1 came out wheaten!!! Not that I have anything against wheatens but I don't want them in my BCM line.
    Grrrrr.
    I'd pay the $20 per bird, heck I've paid more and had to pay for the feed to raise the little buggers to laying age, well we're at 12 weeks now so no eggs yet.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    $20 is a steal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by