Is 20% protein too much for adult bantams?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BWchicken, Aug 20, 2010.

1. BWchicken

BWchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    I feed FlockRaiser (20% protein) to my bantam flock, is that too much protein for bantams? They're one year old, don't free range (neighbors dogs) and get occasional treats, so the feed is their main food source. They also have free choice oyster shell. I want them to live very long lives and would like to know if the 20% flockraiser is good or bad to feed bantams throughout their lives.

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I'm 99.9 % sure it's okay! [​IMG]

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:I have fed a 22% protein game bird feed to my bantams for years. They do very well on it.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:That's what I feed my BLRW Bantams. [​IMG]

5. 7961

7961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    MI
    Quote:I have fed a 22% protein game bird feed to my bantams for years. They do very well on it.

I have heard that many people feed game bird feed to bantams. The 22% game bird feed..is it a medicated or an unmedicated feed? Also do you feed anything differently during the breeding seasons or for a starter feed? I am purchasing a few pairs rock bantams soon and want to make sure they will be fed the best to optimize their potential. These birds are coming froming a very reputable breeder of exhibition birds. Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  6. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    7961 love your avatar

7. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010

I have heard that many people feed game bird feed to bantams. The 22% game bird feed..is it a medicated or an unmedicated feed? Also do you feed anything differently during the breeding seasons or for a starter feed? I am purchasing a few pairs rock bantams soon and want to make sure they will be fed the best to optimize their potential. These birds are coming froming a very reputable breeder of exhibition birds. Thank you.

Game bird feed is unmedicated and can be fed to chickens, ducks, turkeys, etc. I use Flock Raiser for my chickens and ducks since it is much easier to buy one feed, rather than two.

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

The feed I use is unmedicated but it is also available in medicated form. It is the only feed I use. I feed it from the day they hatch 'till the day they die. This program simplifies things for me. No remembering which pen gets which feed. No deciding when to change from starter to grower. There's only one feed. Once the birds reach laying age I keep oyster shell available & I feed some scratch grain. I've been feeding this way for several years now & it has worked well for me.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep I feed my bantams Flock Raiser and they did well on it. Just be sure to add oyster shells for calcium for the girls.

Even show folks swear by it as well.

10. BWchicken

BWchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks for all your replies, that helps a lot! I wanted to add that I hate hate HATE the new plastic sack my latest bag of FlockRaiser feed came in. The feed is less than 2 weeks from manufacture date but it's not fresh at all, it's already stale, there's a few weevils in it and I'm also afraid the plastic will condensate and let moisture into the feed. The old paper bags really kept the feed fresh! I wish I had another choice, but the choices are few around here and quality feed isn't around. I can't get BlueSeal, Kent or any of the others that I've read are good. I just hate that Purina decided to change their bags. I've asked TSC why and they say that it's so they can get more bags on a truck. Great. Okay, rant over. Does anyone else dislike the new bags or is it just me?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by