1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is 20 weeks too soon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cjeanean, Oct 15, 2008.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I was under the impression that 20 weeks is the age to switch to layer pellets, but just in case I want to check. I know that if given too much calcium too soon pullets can develop kidney problems, but is 20 weeks the right age? Thanks everyone!

2. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    I started giving my Silkie's laying pellets at around 18 weeks and they started laying around a week later. 20 weeks is fine.

3. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Nope, not to soon. But try to give them a good brand of layer. I gave mine a brand from a small feed store and I hardly got any eggs at all. I switched to Layena made by Purina and I am just now starting to get eggs. Mine are 6 1/2 months old.

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    thanks! I wanted to make sure....this is really good, cause the cost of layer pellets is a lot less than all purpose....don't know why. And they also come in 50lb bags rather than 40!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I didn't switch until I got my first egg. That was at 17 weeks. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by