1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is 22% protein ok?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pringle, Nov 25, 2010.

1. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Hey,I have been raising quail for maybe a year now and I have been buying Chick N' Game Bird Starter/Grower Crumbles by Blue Seal.Just today I looked at the protein content and it said 22% protein.Im not to sure if this is ok I thought it should 27% or somthing?The seem fine but maybe theres a problem internally.....

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I wouldn't say it's terrible but quail need higher protein if you can get them the feed. If not, crumbling up some hard boiled egg into the feed can raise it. Make sure to add oyster shell to the diet as well so they get sufficient calcium.

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I would give them hard boiled eggs.

4. pringle

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Ok thanks,I only have 5 adults at the moment so how much should I give them?

5. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    However much they eat.

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Blue Seal, Just Like Dumore At Tsc, Is Chicken Starter That Some Marketing Genious Decided A Bird Is A Bird And We Can Sell More If We Label It For All Birds... Its Advertizing At It Finest--- Lying Like A Politician. Gamebird Starter Is 28-30% Depending On The Manufacterer

7. pringle

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Alright thanks,is there any way I can make my own feed for my quail?Ill give it for my ducks too...for now im giving them egg and mixing wheat germ in there feed.

8. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    You could grind up soy and corn mixed with BOSS and oyster shell with some grit. I don't think it would be easy for chicks. You would have to figure out the protein and calcium contents though.

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:MOST COTURNIX TURN THEIR NOSES UP AT BOSS.

10. pringle

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Ok well thanks anyway,during the summer when were headed towards farmers market(my dads a farmer)we pass another feedstore.I guess il ask them there highest unmedicated protein poultry feed is and see if its better then the one we have. During the winter we dont usually go that far(its a 2 hour drive) so ill just give them eggs and wheat germ in the winter.And anyways we dont do supplemental lighting so I guess they wont need as much protien during the winter but I will feed them extra cracked corn so they dont get cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by