1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is 3.5 weeks too young to sex Silver Laced Wyandottes? Pics included

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DreamsInPink, Apr 7, 2016.

1. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, I got 2 SLW at our local co-op. Supposedly all they get are pullets. Mine are looking distinctly different from each other. Forgive the pictures, I took them with my phone and the chicks were less than cooperative.

Subject number 1 is a lot darker than the other one, with more white feathers peaking through and the tail is a lot longer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Subject number 2 is more grayish brown than black at this point, and the tail is much shorter.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, what do you all think?

ETA: I didn't mean to post in this forum. I meant to post in Chicken Breeds. :/ Sorry!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Neither bird is showing any blatant cockerel signs just yet - there can be a very wide spectrum of plumage in production bred SLW, the differences not being related to gender, but just breeding.

3. DreamsInPink

Thank you.. that's good news so far then!! Is there anything in particular I should watch for? I'll probably post updated pics here occasionally. :)

4. ftfarmer22

ftfarmer22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    A bit too young.. however, as of right now, I see one that's showing cockerel. (3rd picture) But I'm pretty sure they are all pullets..

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  5. DreamsInPink

Thank you... I'm hoping they are both pullets... only time will tell. I will post more pics. Maybe in another week or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by