is 3rd day shipping better than ground?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chkinut, Mar 11, 2012.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    does anyone have any experience with these 2 types of shipping? i have always used "ground" shipping in the past. but i just ordered 12 silkie eggs from MPC and i decided to choose a little more expensive shipping (3rd day) hoping that the eggs will be in better hands possibly? can anyone shed some light?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

It will depend on how far away MPC is form you-

I took 'first class' when someone 89+/- miles away wanted to try to ship eggs to me they were shipped Mon noontime and arrived Wed noontime.

'ground' is the same as 'standard' shipping, via truck, the closer you are the quicker it is- sometimes beating out other methods.

(Ground from Orlando to Jacksonville takes 3 days too)

Three day will be just that, even if it arrives in your city early on the second day it will not go out for delivery till the next day.

I don't know that they are more careful with one type or another.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    "First class" gives you precisely the same service as you get from Priority Mail.
    Third day shipping and Ground sounds like UPS's services, not USPS.

4. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    thanks! if that's the case, i would THINK UPS would be better than the post office. hoping anyway...lol. i'm extremely excited nonetheless! around april 2nd i'll be setting some local BCM eggs, local olive eggs, and 12 silkies!! (3 red, 3 white, and 6 blue silkie eggs)

5. FireTigeris

USP has a contract with USPS, so it's just more handling if anything.

6. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    did you mean UPS? and if so, does that mean it could be worse if UPS brings my eggs?

7. FireTigeris

Yes I meant UPS sorry-

Not worse or better really- just up to the individuals that handle the package- I have had good luck with short trips, bad luck with long trips.

Just be aware that both places may handle your package these days. They both move and deliver for each other.

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX

Yup. And the most trouble I've had is when the USPS let UPS handle them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by