1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is 4 weeks a good age to move the chicks out in my climate zone?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Vapor85Knight, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Vapor85Knight

Vapor85Knight Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2015
    Fortuna, CA
    I live in climate zone 1 (Fortuna, CA). It's been on average about 50+ degrees at night and I wanted to know if 4 weeks is a good age to put my chicks in their outdoor coop and should I add a heat lamp?

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Your chicks will need some supplemental heat until they are fully feathered out, usually around 6 weeks of age. They could certainly be moved outside as long as you are able to provide an area that is quite a bit warmer than 50 degrees - usually by 4 weeks they need around 70 degrees to stay comfortable.

3. Vapor85Knight

Mar 19, 2015
    Fortuna, CA
    Thank you!

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Read my comments in this thread. It’s not just a matter of age, it’s also about draft protection and ventilation in the coop and how well they have been acclimatized.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...side-coop-with-crazy-weather-in-the-northeast

At four weeks old they are getting pretty close, but if you can do it without burning the coop down, I’d suggest moving them out now with a supplemental heat source. Just heat one area and let the rest cool down. They will find their own comfort zone, which will probably be all over the coop, just going back to the heat when they need to warm up. In another week they should not need any heat at all as long as your temperatures don’t cool down very much. But as long as they can get away from the heat when they want to, you can keep the heat on if you wish. There are no hard and fast rules on this, just try to be safe with the heat source.

1 person likes this.
  5. Vapor85Knight

Mar 19, 2015
    Fortuna, CA
    What would be a good bulb wattage to put in the coop? It's a small coop large enough for 4 large chickens.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Depending on how high you put it a 100 or 200 watt heat bulb in a metal hood placed in one corner would work fine. As said by Ridgerunner above, make sure to secure the light, use 2 separate wires and/or chains attached to 2 different places on the light. You want to create a warm zone that they can move in and out of when they like, not nesccessarily heat the whole coop.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by