Is 4 years too old for meat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jonimiki, Nov 3, 2011.

1. jonimiki

jonimiki New Egg

Nov 3, 2011
    I have a 4 year old Rhode Island Red Hen that may have stopped laying. I've read that she is too old and the meat will be tough. Is this true?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    The meat will be tough, it's true. But that doesn't mean you can't eat it. Long time in the crockpot or cook her in a pressure cooker and there ya go. It'll have wonderful flavor.

3. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Slow cook in crockpot. Then shred the meat into small pieces, and put back into the crockpot juices. Put that into the fridge overnight. Then it will make the best tacos, or chicken and noodles you've ever had. I have found the the extra day AFTER cooking is when the tenderness will really kick in.

1 person likes this.
  4. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:i question that. I've ate tons of leftovers in my life, and have noticed the opposite 99% of the time.

5. ShadyHoller

ShadyHoller Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Willamette Valley
    And don't forget about sausage! (Yeah, I know you wouldn't go to that trouble for just one bird, but when you cull a bunch of old layers, just fillet the meat off the carcass and grind it up with your favorite herbs... both chicken sausage breakfast patties and loose Italian sausage are super versatile!)

(edited to fix typo)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  6. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    kfacres:
    It's the resting in the juice I'm talking about. Haven't you noticed some dishes like chili, or soup taste better the next day?

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Chilli definitely does!

8. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Mhm...I smell chicken noodle soup!!!

9. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Canning the meat is what I would do. No meat would be tough canned and would be great in sandwiches or casseroles.

10. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Quote:Chilli definitely does!

Mmmm...I like to make "white chili" with the older chickens since the meat holds up better to 2 days of slow coooking. [​IMG] Slow cook them in the crock pot all day with some onions and salt and pepper and save all the liquid so it's a delicious broth...then refridgerate...next day debone, add white beans (like great northern beans) cilantro, and can of creamed corn (makes it thicker) and I cheat and buy packets of "white chili" mix to add I think at Wal Mart...let that go all day again...and make some corn bread....mmm...I have one RIR roo still in the freezer...I think I need to go start me some chicken chili! [​IMG] It's not real spicy and heart burn prone friendly since chicken isn't greasy like beef...but still oh so delicious!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by