Is $5 dollars good for 12 black jersey giants?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Bock_Bock, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i was offered to buy 12 jersey giants eggs for 5 bucks possibly so others thrown in is this a good dealq

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    If they are fertile yes, I would get them quick!

3. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok will do i was just reading up on them saying that they wearnt that good till the were at least 6 mmonths is this tue?

4. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Haven't had any, but know people on here have requesting eggs for this breed. They are very pretty, I think. The roos get like 12 - 13 lbs. Who could ask for more.

5. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    just paid $30.00 for a dozen blue and black ones ... I would say that is a great deal !!!!!!

6. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Origin: New Jersey, USA.
    Egg-laying: 160/year
    Egg colour: Light brown.
    Weight: Standard hen weighs 10lb, cock is 13 - 14 lb.
    Rarity: ALBC: Watch RBST: No information
    Colours: Black and White.
    Purpose: Dual purpose. Capon of choice.
    Feather-footing?: No
    Special features: The biggest breed of chicken in the world.

Sounds like they lay good and the extra roo's would be great to eat. I would get them if it were me. I love hatching babies though so I would probably buy any eggs that were fertile and only $5 for 12. I usually pay over 20 for 8 - 12 eggs to hatch.

7. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

They don't reach full size for a year, but they are big enough to eat before then. I don't butcher my hens so I don't know how they are, weight and flavor wise.

They're awesome with cold weather and went broody some but not excessively. Very pretty and impressive but calm and quiet. Not fantastic layers, little worse than RIR, BR other dual purpose etc... For $5 I'd say give them a try, see if you like 'em. [​IMG]

8. PamsPride

PamsPride Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    OHIO
    I sell my Pure Black Jersey Giants for:
    $8 for 6+
    $15 for 12+
    Plus $10 shipping so if you are getting them for $5 that is a good deal!!

9. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

That is a GREAT deal for eggs. They tend to go for $1 to $2 for fertile eggs. I just love my 3 that I hatched. They are already getting very big.LOL

10. WiseChicks

WiseChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    Do it!!

Jersey Giants are wonderful birds! I have adults and fledgings and love them all. They are cold hardy and very calm birds (except when they see bananas.... ) They are extremely smart, too. I have blue, black, and splash right now; and after someone brought up the idea of lavender, I am playing with that idea in my mind.... but I can stop any time I want to! Honest! [​IMG]

Katie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by