Is 5 Hens Enough for 1 Silkie Roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hokankai, Jul 15, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I have 1 definite roo in my little bantam group even though he's only 8 weeks old...I've been able to tell for awhile now.

Anyway, I currently have 5 pullets and was wondering if that was enough to spread the love around without being too overwhelming. Our coop is going to be based off of a 4x4 dog house with as big a run we can manage. How many bantams can we fit in there comfortably anyway?

2. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    technically i think the ratio is 1 roo to 8 - 10 hens but no worries, there have been times where i have had 1 to 5 (not on purpose) and they did fine

3. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    it all depends on the roo. my silkie roo can only do three. i had 4 and was getting alot of infertile eggs. he was keeping up. some keep up too much you just have to wait ans see

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A lot depends upon the rooster. Most silky roosters that I have known have not been over aggressive and caused little damage to the hens. There are exceptions. If your hens become overmated remove the rooster and allow "conjugal" visits if you want fertile egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by