Is 5 weeks to soon to move birds outside?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by beakmaster, Mar 10, 2013.

1. beakmaster

beakmaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Panama City, Florida
    My jumbo chicks are 5 weeks old now and I am ready to move them outside. They have been without the red light for a few days now and the temp in my garage is about the same as outdoors (not taking wind into account) The temps for the next week will be 70ish for highs and 50 for lows give or take a few degrees. I would think they are big enough to take the temps but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
    Also do you use that probiotic stuff they sell for chickens on your quail? If so do you recommend it?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sounds like they are ready to go outside. If the temps do decide to take a dive in the next few days at night, you can always add a heat lamp at night only. Set it up to a height that only gives off a small bit of heat...enough to just stay warmer than the outside air.

Probiotics are great for intestinal health and will boost the immune system. It matters not what species they are sold for, the probiotics are all the same. It takes a week or so for the intestines to get used to all the good bacteria so don't be alarmed if some of them get the runs at first. :)

3. beakmaster

beakmaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Panama City, Florida
    thanks for your help. They seem to be doing great. The temp is forcast to drop and I have a heat lamp ready to go for those nights.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by