Is 6' hardware cloth a good idea?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sonya9, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Planning to have my lawn man help build a chicken fence. Current plan is to fence a 25' x 25' area using 6' tall hardware cloth (1"x2") and poultry netting on top. Fence has to be dog safe (to keep my dogs out of the pen) and we do have a lot of hawks. Chickens will be allowed to free range in the back field as well sometimes. Planning to have 3 chickens so that should be plenty of space for them?

I want the fence to be tall enough to let me walk into it without stooping for the poultry net on top. Will hardware cloth that size be okay? Outside ground predators (vs. my own dogs) aren't a problem as the back 40 is fenced and the LGD will be able to keep an eye on the coop at night.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    ~~Hardware cloth is typically 1/4" square or 1/2" square. Are you sure about the 1" x 2" size? That much cloth will be pricey but will do a good job as long as the cloth cannot be pulled away as attached and also a skirt will be needed to prevent tunneling at the fence. I would run the top netting higher if possible since it will sag.

3. rottnwarrior

rottnwarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2013
    Conklin ny
    I agree with 4 the birds. I know the fence you're talking about and it's good sturdy stuff. I would find a way to hold the netting up higher. Also another idea would be to add a strip of the 1/4x1/4 hardware cloth along the bottom and even buried some to deter some small critters and keep chicks in should you hatch some with a broody. Otherwise it sounds good.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sonya9

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Sorry I don't think hardware cloth was the right term, maybe galvanized fencing? It basically stands up on it's own. The stuff at the feed store also had some type of green coating but it also comes in play metal.

And yeah I know the net will sag, will talk to lawn man about the best way to fix that (maybe a poll in the center?) He has good ideas, he is a retired welder that now cuts lawns for hobby money.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  5. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I saw a video on YouTube where a guy put a 4x4 as a pole to hold the netting up but on top of the 4x4 he put a bucket, with the rounded edges it doesn't rip the netting, simple but a good idea.

1 person likes this.
  6. Sonya9

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    That is a good idea! Maybe a cheap metal pan as a topper would work too. Thanks!

7. Biologrady

Biologrady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    We have a similar set up... 6' kennel fencing all around ( to keep out daytime predators) and for the top we zig-zagged some wire across the top to make a supportive web and then used lightweight chicken wire (hexagonal stuff) in panels across the top. The wire was a lifesaver, kept it from sagging much in leaves and snow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by