Is 60-65 too cold for a 6 week old bantam?

Lisa202

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
Long Island NY
Hi All

When my bantam chicks are 6 weeks old (mid Oct) , their brooder temp will be down to 70, but the outside temp will be about 60-65. Can I put them out in their coop then or should I let them acclimate in the garage for another week or two ( which will put the outside temp to about 55) ? I'm nervous about them going from a brooder to November weather. I haven't read much on here about people brooding chicks this late in the season.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am on the exact same time line! But i think it may be colder here (SW Ontario)
I hope someone with expertise answers your post!
Good luck to us both!

I was thinking of putting the heat lamp in a corner of the coop when i move them out there.
At least at night if the daytinme temps are ok.
Thoughts?

I'm also in Ontario, though a little North of you. My youngest peep is 4+weeks now and still with my broody hen. I've been putting her outside daily and she is thriving too. If you're down London/Widsor way, you're a bit warmer. Are you using a broody pen or mama bird?

Winters are colder than Long Island and summers can be hotter (no ocean affect in Ontario). I lived in Maine for 8 years and the coast has a more temperant climate. We are a 5 - 6 on the plant hardiness zone - which is a good way to determine climates. Small comb birds do better in cold weather.

Hope someone answers, I've been wondering the same thing. My chicks are 3 weeks old and I live in Northern Alberta, although we are planning on putting a heat lamp in the coop just in case. I really don't want to crack ice off the waterers and haul water out there every day.

Lisa,
Our fall season here is a free for all, I have picked tomatoes the week of Halloween and I have also shoveled snow. Hard to say what the temps will be.
My chicks are arriving on tues (38 of the little fuzzbums) and they will be in my livingroom for at least the first 3 weeks.
After that I was going to move them into their coop (very weather proof) and herd them into one corner with temp barricades and have the heat lamp there. The move to the coop will be provided we have a fairly warm fall.

since it won't really be that big of a difference, i would put them into the coop and see how they acclimate. Are the temperatures you listed going to be the lows at night, or will it be even colder at that time? I think if your coop is solid and insulated and not drafty, they will be fine.
smile.png

rule of thumb is start them at 95 degrees & reduce the temp by 5 degrees per week. Following this rule 60-65 degrees is a bit too cold for 6 week old chicks.

Back
Top Bottom