Is 6x10 big enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlooRooster

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Great Smoky Mountains
Is a 6x10 pen big enough for a pair or trio of pheasant to be housed in permanently. Any breeds that are more suited to this size of pen over others, say red goldens over ringneck maybe.

Which breeds would be more suited to a pen of this size, and which breeds needs a larger pen. I know my ringneck has a tendency to pick at each other if the pen is to small.

I have red golden and ringneck currently and hope to be getting some silvers soon. I will also be adding other breeds as I find them lady amhearst, yellow golden, reeves,....etc.. What would be the smallest pen size I would want to house most of these birds in?

60 sq. ft. is too small for any Pheasant species.

You shouldn't be thinking of how small to make an aviary. Bigger is always better.

Minimum for a Golden would be 100 - 150 sq. ft.

Reeves do well in a large aviary. The "book" minimum is too small at 200 sq. ft. Their tail demands double that.

Silvers need a bit less than Reeves.

That should give you something to think on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have several large pens. I always thought bigger is better. The fact is I have to quit thinking that way. I plan on getting many more birds and I just can't keep building large pens. Its just not feasible, that's why I want to know how small some of the pens are that some people have done ok with.

10x15 just seems to be a bit large for a pair of goldens to me, you could house peacocks in something like that.

I know I have seen pictures of breeders pens on here that looked to me to be around 6x10 or maybe a little bit larger.

I don't know maybe the pictures I have seen on here are just deceptive on the dimensions of the pens.

I know a guy that raises a pair of goldens in a pen that is 5x12 x 6 foot tall. His birds have always breed every year. They have a little house to go in to get out of rain and to keep their food dry. They have a couple of poles going across for roosts.

I have my 1 Edwards pair for over 3 years in a 6w x 12L X 6H with a small 4x4x5 house attached. i know my hen is happy because she lays well and each clutch is at least 8 eggs and at least total 24+ eggs per season and my male must be happy as well because he does his job very well.

as for ringnecks those may not do as well in a pen that size, because they should have a minimum of 10-12 hens per cock bird and the recommendations for ringnecks are 25 sq ft per bird...ringnecks in my opinion are way different than ornamental pheasants.

Last edited:
with the exception of my imps i have all of my birds in a 8X9( i also have friends that have this size pen with no problems for 40 yrs) and one pen 10x10 for my reeves and he still has a 5ft tail they are all happy and look wonderful and lay great and i have great fertility as well, i do how ever keep grass clippings and green limbs for them and treats for them. in my opion Bloorooster the breeds you want will do fine in that size, but if you could manage a 8x9 it would be better and a 10 x 10 would give the reeves a better tail bloorooster

**Edited to remove drama feeding**

Thanks for all the replies folks. It has helped me alot. I will still have big pens for birds that require it. My peafowl certainly demand a larger pen. I just needed to know what was the smallest exceptable size without stressing the birds to much. I just hate to take a 20x20 space and house 2 birds when I could divide the area and comfortably house a few more birds in the same area to enjoy.

I am going to try my goldens in a smaller pen and see if they are happy there. It is my guess that they will be because they are so laid back and calm.

I can tell that a smaller pen wouldn't work with the ringnecks. Are there any other pheasant that anyone can think of that are somewhat like the ringnecks that would require more room because of aggressiveness? If so, I may steer clear of them until I have a suitable place for them.

You mention imps. Do they require more space? Just curious on them because it will probably be a while before I get any of them due to price and availability in my area.

10x15 just seems to be a bit large for a pair of goldens to me, you could house peacocks in something like that.

Minimum recommended for Peafowl is 400 sq. ft.

I am fully aware that people can and do keep any number of species in small aviaries.
However, it isn't the right thing to do.
You want birds that survive (minimal husbandry practices) ?
Or do you want birds that thrive ?

Huge difference.

Pheasants of the World
Their breeding and Managment
By: Keith Howman

Minimum aviary size

Golden 100 sq. ft.
Lady Amherst 100 sq. ft.
Reeves 200 sq ft.
Temminck's Tragopan 400 sq. ft.
Elliot's 200 sq. ft.
Himalayan Monal 400 sq. ft.
(keep in mind the Monal are diggers. Bury wire deep)

The lists go on. But with the above you get the drift. In all the good info/books, you will be told that bigger (than listed) is always better.

Going small for the simple reason that you want as many different species as you can in a limited area does them no favors or good.
Just because some people get away with it (normally for short number of years) doesn't make it the right thing to do.​

all one can do is really try a certain pen size and see what happens.
you will know if your birds are comfortable in it, if they lay well and the male and female get along great then you will have no problems.

But if they don't lay or there is signs of aggression you will want more space added to see if it helps..

I ques if you'd buy birds that came from larger pens there may or not be issues in that case.
of course if you hatch and raise them and thats all they ever know you may be just fine.... trial and error..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom