Is 6X12 too small for golden or amherst pens?

dainironfoot

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 27, 2010
woodburn, Oregon
Hi guys! Still trying to figure out the pens for my goldens and amhersts. 6X12 works best for my available space but wasn't sure if it was too small. They will be pairs, not trios. Thanx in advance,

caf.gif

6x12 for Impeyans and Eared Pheasants is way to small. That's like living in a 1 bedroom apartment. Them birds need more room.
Alright for a pair of Amherst or Goldens.

Quote:
Yes very small for Monals and Eared Pheasants.
I have mine in 15 by 30 feet pens and they still managed to remove every blade of grass and dig like mad.
Its not right keeping pheasants in small pens and no one can say it is.
A bit like been confined to your house everyday of you life.
The bigger the pen you can give the better and yes that means not been able to keep all the pheasants you want.
But at least the ones you keep will have more room rather than trying to keep more species in smaller pens.
As for canary and budgies in small cages for life thats another days rant.,

Yes,I know it's small,I am planning on building more pens when the bucks are handy.They do great,all species I raise.I raised 4 impeyan chicks this year,but I do agree to it being to small.
In N.H.,Tony.

I agree with all. While a pen that size may be small, the birds can function and get enough excercise to be healthy, however, the bigger the pen the better. Aswell, everybody know that you can only make assumptions on how much space to give a bird because every bird is different. Some are way more active than others. Anyway, that`s just my opinoin.

Good point game bird guy. I was wondering about space requirement for quads. The plans I have would allow 36sq.ft. per bird with low boxes and brush for cover, I would like to cut that down to 24-27sqft per bird to save on space and wire and lumber costs if thats plausable? The runs are planned to be 6ft wide with 12 feet under roof + ?ft.

ETA: My idea sparked from this design https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=585988 but mine would be bigger, have a 6' plywood T-shaped wall (to limit interaction and exposure between types of birds and have 9 runs in all. The roof would be 30'x24' total with 24'x12' for the pheasant, another 24'x12' would be one large aviary for mandriens, woodducks, and calls, and the last 6' on the end would be divided into 4 10' L runs for quail and doves.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom