Is 98 degrees to hot for brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ging3rhoffman, Mar 6, 2009.

1. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Is 98 degrees to hot for brooder? I am using a 250 watt red bulb. It is a 4x4 and there will be 25 chicks. I wanted to know if this was okay. It is 98 under the light.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    no, as long as the chicks can move to a cooler spot in the brooder..

I usually start my chicks off at 80F to 85 F..
    they do not have to be kept so hot ..

can your chicks get away from the heat?

can you raise the light?? or tilt it to direct the heat across the brooder instead of straight down??

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I keep mine with a 99 degree spot for the first week, then lower it as needed. They have plenty of room to get away from the heat if they don't like it, but the first week they usually stay under the light a lot. When they start sleeping away from the "hot spot" I back off the lamp a bit. Just make sure they have room to get away from the heat if they want to, and they will self regulate.

4. tamlynn

tamlynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Torrance, CA
    I would say no because my newborn chicks went right under their lamp and the thermometer said 102! I kept thinking it was too hot, but they liked it. The light shines in one corner of the box, and the food and water are in another corner so they could have easily moved away from the light if they were too hot.

5. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Thanks for the responses. I feel much better now, i can know that anywhere from 85 to 100 will be right for them. I will just watch and see if they huddle real close or not. I cant wait to get them, they should be here on the 10th.[​IMG]

6. 54allisCA

54allisCA Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2009
    mine may be weird but they seem happiest right now with the thermometer reading 110!!! I was realy worried as these are my first chicks but they are staying evenly dispersed not huddled or hiding from the light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by