is a 10 gallon aquarium okay for 6 pullets?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ladyearth, Feb 4, 2015.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    I used a larger cooler last time for the first couple weeks.. But I like the idea of chick TV....
    also have the hood light to use or brooder clamp on from before.. plus other boxes and totes and coolers....etc andd lids and hwe. cloth etc......
    Just wish I had non corn OR SOY chick starter. can get non gmo type at TSC
    or gonna make another.. PVC" using "c7 or c9" old fashioned regular sized xmas tree lights. Got lights from Ebay(expensive) but later found them at local flea market.... cheaper....
    Lights enclosed in a 3 inch pvc pipe..... with wtr. heater thermostat.....with pvc end caps of course..
    This time gonna use the sewer and drain thinner wall pvc. the guy on video said he was gonna try a metal pipe. I emailed him and he never responded to if he tried the metal pilpe later.....
    the schedule 40 PVC is so much thicker walled
    saw it on link, I,believe here.... and then on youtube..." confederatemoney farm" video
    Works pretty good for a pet heater
    We using it in coop now for my 5 Barr Rockers.... spoiit rotten juvenile deliquents..... my babies...now almost a year old..LOL
    OH saw one thread on here lady said used 30 gallon aquarium... Another lady said never again with the aquarium...... hm......[​IMG]
    thanks all

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    For how long? You need at LEAST 1 sq foot of space per chick for the first couple of weeks and then double that for the last 3-4 before you can put them outside. So a 10G might be ok for the first week or so, but not really after that.

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I'd be concerned that it would get too hot and you'd cook them. A 10 G is less then 2 sq ft. Too small for much of anything.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've used an aquarium for a brooder before, but it was a 55 gallon. And, they were only in there for a few days so my kids could watch them. They were quickly moved to a much larger outdoor brooder so I wouldn't have to smell them and clean their dust off of everything!

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Once you get a feeder, waterer and heat source in a 10 gallon aquarium, where will there be room for any chicks?

6. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    Not much but its only for a few days.... Got that Xmas tree big tote now waiting... but there are only 7 Baby girlsssss

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by