Is a 11'x10' bedroom to small?

reveriereptile

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Northern NY
I'm trying to get a chalet prow house plan how we want it to take over to the architect but I don't know if a 11'x10' bedroom would be to small. Due to the style of house there isn't much room to move stuff around and my husband wants the back end to be the entrance otherwise there wouldn't be a problem making them bigger. I have a 11'x22' area that I need to put two bedrooms in and closets for both. I figured if I made them both 11'x10' then the 11'x2' area between the rooms could be divided into closets. I also will have a small amount of room under some stairs that I could use as some closet area for in one of the rooms.

One bedroom will be used for an office/gym area. The other room will be used as a nursery/kids room. The biggest size of bed that will probably be used in the room will be no bigger than a twin. By the time we have kids and they get bigger we will most likely have added onto the house.

Also I was wondering if having the child's room downstairs would be a good idea or not since our room would be upstairs? We would most likely have the baby in our room at night till they get a little older. I thought it would be easier during the day to have their room downstairs so I can have better access to the diapers and when putting them down for a quick nap to keep a better eye on them especially if I was cooking.

I forgot to add that we will have a WIC upstairs that is 8'x9' that we could use as a temporary nursery till the baby got bigger. I just would really hate to change the whole house around that we plan on living in the rest of our lives. Our bedroom would be big enough to keep the baby's bed in it if for some reason with it downstairs didn't work out or we needed our WIC back.

Last edited:
I just did a quick google search of [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]chalet prow homes and that bedroom size is a bit smaller but pretty common. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Some times you just have to deal with what you have space for, guessing the design of the lot and roof will guide you to what you can do. Bigger would be nicer, but if lot, $, design limit your options, go with the best you can.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Besides, smaller will be cheaper to heat/cool[/FONT]

Thanks for the advice.

If my husband didn't want the entrance on the flat end of the house then the bedrooms could easily be bigger but he doesn't want to walk around to the side of the house especially during the winter time.

We had thought of having all plumbing on one side of the house but if I move the bathroom or mechanical room to the other side then I could have one bedroom that would be larger while the other would be the same size.

I guess I'll have to adjust it around some and see what ideas I can come up with. The side behind the kitchen will be either a 14'x11' or a 15'x11' if I made the kitchen one foot smaller. That area was going to be the bathroom and mechanical room. I'm not sure how big a mechanical room needs to be.

I THINK ROOMS WILL BE TOO SMALL. I WOULD NOT WANT TO BE UPSTAIRS AND MY CHILDREN BE DOWN OR VICE VERSA. IN THE SOCIETY, WE LIVE IN TODAY. KIDS NEED TO BE ON THE SAME FLOOR FOR SAFETY REASONS. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PLANS.

That's the size of the bedrooms in our new house. I think it's plenty big. Course, I grew up in an eight by ten room, shared with one or two siblings! We're pretty spoiled about space in our society.

I'm all for having the kid's rooms as far from the parent's as possilbe. I know when they're babies you might want them closer, but I think if they're farther away after a point, everyone sleeps better. And face it, they not babies far longer than they are babies, and parents need privacy for intimacy without feeling sounds carry through adjoining walls. Trust me, it's kind of a mood breaker to have your ds12 call "I can hear you" through the wall
th.gif

We don't mind having the child sleep in our room or in the WIC if we need a closed door till they are a little older. I wouldn't mind having one of the downstairs bedrooms as their main room though since I'll be downstairs during the day. That would give them a place to have their toys, the changing table, and other items. If I need to I could sleep in the other bedroom downstairs till I feel safe leaving them.

The house will be out in the country on a piece of 23 acre land without any trees on it except the ones we plant. We will have security cameras if anyone tries to come around. The doors will probably have an extra lock at the top to avoid any young children trying to sneak out.

I did talk with my husband and told him about not having all the plumbing on one side of the house and he told me to design it how I think it should be. I'm going to move stuff around and that way we will have one room that is a 14'x11'. Does that seem a little bit better?

Our kiddos each have their own 9'x10' room, and they're happy as can be. Each has a twin bed, a dresser, and a toy storage cabinet, in addition to their closet.

As far as having kids on a different floor than the adults, there are pros and cons to each. We've only lived in 1-story houses with our kids, and we haven't had a huge privacy issue. On the other hand, it might be nice to have some space between us. I'm sure you'll figure out how to make it work either way.

Good luck on your house-building!

--Nikki

I just handed my husband's friend that is an architect some stuff yesterday. Only thing bad was I thought my husband was going to stay so I could tell him all the stuff I want and don't want but he didn't. I'll write it down and then when he calls up after looking at the photos I gave him and the rough floor plan then I can tell him that stuff.

He did say one thing that is going to make a change is that I wanted radiant floor heating but my husband didn't. He said that radiant is nice to have but around here (he lives in the village a few miles from us) that it doesn't work to good. He said the temp. during the day changes so much throughout the day that it would be working overtime in the morning to heat the floor and then by the time it heats up it will be warmer out and the house would be to warm while waiting for the water to cool. Then by night time it will be having to heat the house again.

I'm not sure what type of heating to use now since we only can run it with electricity or propane which the propane prices are higher than the electricity. He might have some suggestions as to what would work best for us. He has been doing architect work for years and even teaches the class in college.

Double check the price of propane, I know that mine isn't more than electric.
I just handed my husband's friend that is an architect some stuff yesterday. Only thing bad was I thought my husband was going to stay so I could tell him all the stuff I want and don't want but he didn't. I'll write it down and then when he calls up after looking at the photos I gave him and the rough floor plan then I can tell him that stuff.

He did say one thing that is going to make a change is that I wanted radiant floor heating but my husband didn't. He said that radiant is nice to have but around here (he lives in the village a few miles from us) that it doesn't work to good. He said the temp. during the day changes so much throughout the day that it would be working overtime in the morning to heat the floor and then by the time it heats up it will be warmer out and the house would be to warm while waiting for the water to cool. Then by night time it will be having to heat the house again.

I'm not sure what type of heating to use now since we only can run it with electricity or propane which the propane prices are higher than the electricity. He might have some suggestions as to what would work best for us. He has been doing architect work for years and even teaches the class in college.

Back
Top Bottom