1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is a 2 year old hen still able to breed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MrViskers, Oct 19, 2011.

1. MrViskers

MrViskers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    I went out to a farm owned by a guy who was selling Rumpless Araucana pairs they were all over 1.5 years old, it was his breeding stock he was getting rid of to replace with younger birds and he offered to sell me his 2 year old 'prized' breeding hen for a good price and he told me she stills continue to lay about 3-4 eggs per week, I want to purchase her for breeding projects but do a hen's breeding chances decrease by year?

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:As long as she is laying eggs, they are able to be fertilized. It's the rooster that deminishes fertility each year until he is no longer fertile, but they should stay fertile until they are at least 3 years old... [​IMG]

3. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    at that age her eggs would be pretty big too, I always hear small eggs are bad for hatching. My RIR's eggs are twice the size now she's 2 1/2 as opposed to her first 1 1/2 years or so.

Think of eggs like a chicken period. If she's still laying she hasn't reached menopause yet! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Sounds like an excellent opportunity if you like the looks of his birds. Go for it. I have a hen that has to be around six years old now, still laying like crazy. A marans no less, which is supposedly an "iffy" layer breed. Mine lay really well.

5. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I have a 10 year old rooster who is still very fertile. And yup, as long as shes laying eggs, she can have chickies!

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yes she is still in her prime, I would get them if I were you. the hatchings will be fine.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree. She is hitting her prime. The hatching quality of older hens' eggs can decline (not necessarily absolutely will each and every time, but can decline). Check the first three categories of this link. They do not limit the problems caused by "Older breeders" to the roosters. But at 2 years old, she should do fine for at least a couple of more years.

Florida Incubation Troubleshooting
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa204

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by